The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troubleshooting an ongoing intermittent "No Start" problem that keeps leaving me stranded on my '04 6.0. The truck left me stranded Sunday, but eventually fired and ran OK getting home. I replaced another CMP Sensor Sunday, but that did NOT fix the "no start". Today, when monitoring using AE's Live Data, "CMP/CKP sync" keeps flip flopping back and forth between 0 and 1 about every second or so. I'm assuming this is NOT normal for the signal to be flip flopping that often, and so the signal is being interrupted between the CMP, CKP and FICM. The FICM is an upgraded Swamp's Diesel 58 Volt FICM going on 7 or 8 years old now, but it always test OK on the Power Side, and does today. I know the Logic Side can also go south, so that may be the issue, but no way to confirm or test it that I'm aware of before sending it in for repair. I'm leaning towards replacing the engine harness and the CKP sensor while I'm behind the AC Compressor to swap out the electrical connector even though supposedly CKP sensors rarely fail, and it's not the original sensor (replaced years ago due to leaking/failed o-ring). Comments...?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Ya, the 0-1-0-1 thing made me wonder too regarding sync.

Just a hunch but I think your on the right track changing out the harness at least that's what I would do at this stage. You could load test each wire but that's a ton of work. Regarding the FICM, do you know someone with one they could lone you for a day or two? Or, if they are worried about your truck somehow harming their FICM, could you get them to run yours for a couple days and keep theirs with them just in case?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After talking to the guys at Swamps Diesel regarding the possibility of the Logic Side of their 58 Volt FICM going bad, they said "it's not likely"... They would test it for me for a fee if required if I send it in. At this point, I ordered a harness and new crank sensor and will do that job first. Then we'll see if the "no start" comes back . If so, then I'll send in the FICM again and get it tested/repaired. After this hunting season is over, the truck is outa here even though I'm gonna' take a huge financial loss on it... I should have sold it 10 years ago to be honest...

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Everything you just stated makes sense to me. Hopefully the harness will cure it, then you can sell it straight up running properly to someone and move on. Let us know if the harness cures it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
After talking to the guys at Swamps Diesel regarding the possibility of the Logic Side of their 58 Volt FICM going bad, they said "it's not likely"... They would test it for me for a fee if required if I send it in. At this point, I ordered a harness and new crank sensor and will do that job first. Then we'll see if the "no start" comes back . If so, then I'll send in the FICM again and get it tested/repaired. After this hunting season is over, the truck is outa here even though I'm gonna' take a huge financial loss on it... I should have sold it 10 years ago to be honest...
Ed from FICMReopair.com says he sees almost as many logic board failures as power board failures.

I wonder what Swamps does to the logic board (if anything) for improved reliability.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed from FICMReopair.com says he sees almost as many logic board failures as power board failures.

I wonder what Swamps does to the logic board (if anything) for improved reliability.

I wondered too so asked them in an email and they really didn't respond specifically other than to say "in general, the logic sides don't fail"... Not a real confidence booster to be honest. Seems more of a canned response than anything else... I ordered a harness and will swap it out as time permits... The only spot on the wiring that has me concerned is where it winds around the oil filter base and the fuel filter... The looms there seems to have been pushed on pretty hard there... We'll see...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue(s) seems to have been resolved by replacing the engine harness as it hasn't left me stranded since that weekend and the engine is running better than it has in years. It has not failed to start since the harness swap. Upon inspecting the old harness for signs of wear, there was a repair done by somebody without my knowledge (Ford...?) that looks suspect but other than that, no obvious signs of chafing, wear through, etc. The job was a PITA as I have the IPR Remote Oil Cooler, IPR remote Coolant Filter, etc. and all that stuff is in the way of the harness and connectors... I particularly love how Ford decided to hide 1 of the bolts for the AC Compressor (has to be moved to get access to the CKP sensor) underneath the compressor between it and the frame, with only a tiny hole for access to it... That was fun...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Thanks for the update.

btw - International built the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts