The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey as of today I am officially a diesel owner. I bought an 04 f-250 with a 6.0 and 66,000 milies. It is completly stock and I wanted to do some simple upgrades. I was thinking 4 inch turbo back exhaust and a cold air intake. I don't want to get too carried away if I can help it. Any advice on what to do and what brands to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would put a coolant filter on it as well......dieselsite makes a good kit.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I would put a coolant filter on it as well......dieselsite makes a good kit.
That would be the FIRST upgrade I would do, and after that some sort of way to monitor the engine coolant temp and engine oil temp to keep an eye for too big a spread between the two.

·
Registered
261 Posts
X2 on the moniter.

You just have to see the temperature spread between ECT and EOT. In my case ignorance was bliss and that cost me $12000 for a newer short block. Do yourself a favour and get a moniter either an EDGE CS or CTS or any other mentioned on this site.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You might consider first a set of gauges. That way you can monitor your current normal values and when you add any mods later you can gauge the difference (sorry, couldn't help the pun). If you tow, or plan on towing, the Trans Temp gauge is a must. Before you say it, yes I know you already have one, but the stock gauge is worthless. It will read in the normal range if you just let the truck idle in the driveway on a cold morning. There's also no numerals on it, and for good reason. I real gauge is good to have. We have some popular kits here if you're interested. If you have any questions about them let me know.
Ford Factory Matched Gauge Kits
For an intake the S&B is a good product for the price.
Exhaust, go with MBRP and you wont be dissatisfied.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Congrats on the truck, and welcome!
1. Monitor!!! Now!! Edge CS or CTS or the Scangauge II is a cheaper option.
2. Coolant filter is an excellent suggestion. Has the coolant been flushed and maintained on this truck? There are several companies that sell bypass coolant filters (I have the dieselsite one) and more recently an increased flow coolant filter has been marketed by IPR Research. It's pricier but handles a higher rate of flow.
3. I have an MBRP turbo-back exhaust and it works great. '03 and early '04 trucks benefit from a turbo-back because the factory downpipe was crimped and wrinkled (not mandrel bent).
4. By and large I think aftermarket intakes are a complete waste of money on a 6.0. Cold air intake?? Aftermarket intakes suck air from the engine compartment. What's "cold" about that? And filtration on the stock air filter is unmatched.

·
Registered
484 Posts
x2 on the Edge unit and keeping the stock air intake.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Blue spring upgrade for your fuel pressure. if you are 4wd clean and repack your hubs. mine are currently locked in in the auto position.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome
As posted the stock air intake is as good as they come spend your money on other things that count like a coolant filter, gauges I like the Edge CTS, fuel gauge under 45lbs at WOT kills injectors use only Ford or Racor filters and a good 5w40 Syn oil, your injectors will like it and change the oil around 5k because of the shear of the oil by the injectors. If your deltas look good ( ECT-EOT max spread 15*) do a coolant flush to ditch the Ford Gold junk coolant install a good Cat EC-1 Rated coolant and do alot of :read:ing.
2 stroker:ford:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I am thinking of the Edge Insight CS, coolant filter, 4" turbo back exhaust anda blue spring upgrade? Im not sure if the blue spring is needed or not. Also if I do straight pipe exhaust will I have to get a chip to clear engine light codes? The diesel shop in town told me exhaust, chip and air intake would run about $4500. I laughed and left. Any advice on blue spring and exhaust I would appreciate.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So I am thinking of the Edge Insight CS, coolant filter, 4" turbo back exhaust anda blue spring upgrade? Im not sure if the blue spring is needed or not. Also if I do straight pipe exhaust will I have to get a chip to clear engine light codes? The diesel shop in town told me exhaust, chip and air intake would run about $4500. I laughed and left. Any advice on blue spring and exhaust I would appreciate.

Thanks
Every 6.0 needs the fuel reg spring to keep from kill your injectors.
If you are going to do the exhaust do the turbo back and go from there and forget about the air intake these 6.0 have the best one going good to 500hp. You will need the SCT to turn off the wrench if you do a egr delete and go with the CTS it has a bigger screen.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Every 6.0 needs the fuel reg spring to keep from kill your injectors.
If you are going to do the exhaust do the turbo back and go from there and forget about the air intake these 6.0 have the best one going good to 500hp. You will need the SCT to turn off the wrench if you do a egr delete and go with the CTS it has a bigger screen.
Yes, do the blue spring upgrade - it's easy and cheap peace of mind. I don't think EGR delete will throw a code on an '04 - just '05+. If you delete EGR cooler there's a new one-piece job out by IPR, I think. One piece means fewer connections to spring a leak.
Might check to see if you have the butterfly valve in the intake elbow. If so you can take that nonsense out.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
JIM C, you are right by the time I started writing I forgot what year it was, need to fill in your Sig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like I said i've never owned a diesel. Everyone says use synthetic oil. I have always used Delo 400 15W40. Is there anything wrong with this. Just curious if so and why.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My advice... If your going straight pipe. Just remove the cat and muffler. Get either delete pipes and keep the 3.5" pipe. The extra .5" isn't going to make a much of a difference. Should set you back less that 150 bucks done if you do it. Toss in a sct programmer or gryphoon programmer with custom tunes and keep the stock intake. You will notice a huge power increase for the money spent. It will be the bigge bang for the buck you will get. Next huge gain will be in the form of a turbo and/ or injectors for 2 grand minimum + supporting mods.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Like I said i've never owned a diesel. Everyone says use synthetic oil. I have always used Delo 400 15W40. Is there anything wrong with this. Just curious if so and why.

Thanks
Delo 400 15w40 is a good oil but these injectors like a 5w40 Syn oil Dino oil can't take the heat you can get what they call cokeing and stiction then you will have to add something like Rev-x to help clean the injectors (maybe) These injectors shear the oil so about 5k is about max.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off if you start modifying things it’s going to cost you in the end if you don’t go all in. I had a 6.0L 2005 with the full Banks package Cold Air Intake, Ram Air Charge Air Cooler, Turbo Back Exhaust with Cat delete, Six Gun Tuner w/ speed loader, Boost & Pyrometer Gauges, IPR EGR Cooler, IPR Oil Cooler, Coolant Filter, ARP Head Studs, etc… I blew my heads 4 times (twice after the ARP Studs), completely replaced the heads 3 times $6k each time, went through 3 EGR coolers (before I got the IPR, and 3 oil coolers (before I got the IPR).

You can get a lot more power with the above mods, but in the end it will become unreliable and cost you $$$$$$$$$$$. The intake, charge air cooler or the exhaust, didn’t improve my mileage or any noticeable power gains w/o the six gun tuner. However after the 3rd set of heads I took the tuner out and got another 50,000miles out of it.

If you want to keep it reliable, do your research:
Coolant filter, IPR EGR Cooler, and IPR Oil Cooler

The 6.0L is a fragile engine with some serious design flaws, that’s why Ford sued Navistar for $1 billion due to warranty issues. I finally got rid of it and bought a 2012 F250 6.7L 

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2004 Ford diesels have had more problems than usual with the engine overall but in particular with engine cooling and the fuel system. It would make sense to start with these areas and see what is practical.

It would be a good use of your time to check this and other Ford owners' forums (not just diesel) and see what specific repairs people have had to make on their 2003-2007 trucks with this engine (Ford did major changes in 2010 model year trucks). Then decide whether to put the money into fixes or leave it in the bank to have ready for repairs. The drivetrain problems are also something to take note of and the cost of the repairs so you can budget for this future expense.

With any vehicle I buy the first thing I do is put together a maintenance schedule and if the vehicle is used then I assume unless I have evidence to the contrary that the proper maintenance has not been done and start from scratch with fluid changes. With 60K miles that would include oil, transmission, and coolant, and related filters as well as the fuel filter. This would also be a good time to add an aftermarket fuel filtration system as with the Ford diesels this seems like a prudent investment considering their history of fuel system problems for the 2003-2007 trucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts