The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you towing a really, heavy 5th wheel with your 6.7 SD diesel? I'd like to hear some feed back on how your truck handles, and pulls mountains, plus braking when you go down them. It appears that mine is going to be pretty well maxed out when I get my trailer.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 79.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have single wheel 7.3 that I pulled 19,000lb fifty wheel through the mountains every year with no problem. I am sure your 6.7 can handel it way better.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds good, Tex. I see f350's and gm 3500's pulling huge rigs but was surprised to see the specs. Our trucks weigh about 7500 empty and are rated to tow 15,700 pounds. If you max out the payload of the truck to 11,500 with pin weight and supplies, your over gross really quick. So, even though you're a little over gross, you're pulling mountains and braking down the other side. I'm relieved.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Clev: I just commented on your other thread but here are my thoughts on single vs. dual rear wheels (and, of course, my own personal opinions). Given your trailer weight I would not consider anything other than a DRW vehicle. The stability given by those two extra wheels at the rear has come in handy here in the Kansas winds. However that stability has a price - ease of parking, more tires to replace, in most cases that I've seen, a bit less weight carrying capability due to the extra hardware, and requires more caution when driving through narrow areas. Plus, I've noticed that the dually seems more prone to sliding / losing traction in snow than my SRW when I had one. Some National Park areas (I'm thinking of the area around Mt Rushmore) have scenic drives where dually are really tight.

However, we've made the decision and feel better when towing our fifth wheel with our dually.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Some National Park areas (I'm thinking of the area around Mt Rushmore) have scenic drives where dually are really tight.
Glacier National Park is one of those tight areas. They do have sign up saying no vehicles over 23ft (might be 24ft) allowed on the Road to the Sun. I took a 1996 F350 CCLB DRW up the road and there were a few areas that were very tight on turns.

I have never experienced any problems the few times I went to Mt Rushmore with the 96 F350.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply, sky, but I don't have the option to choose a dually. My truck is a 2012 with ~30k miles on it; I can't be buying another truck. This is my mistake thinking these Superduty's would move mountains, and never checking gcwr. Seeing other srw drive F350's pulling huge fives, it never even crossed my mind that they were over gross..until recently. Anyway, it appears that I might be ~1000 pounds over gross. The truck has air bags at all 4 corners plus bilsteins, and bilstein steering stabilizer. That will definitely help the load and handling. I'm replacing both differential covers and the tranny pan with finned over-sized covers to be able to add more fluid and obtain a little better cooling. Except for being vigilant with loading and weight, that's about all that I can do.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ironic that you mentioned Glacier. We just got back, a few weeks ago, from an extended trip that included Glacier. Even with my f350 long bed, some turns on the Going to the Sun were tight.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 15 F350 CC LB SRW and tow a 40’ 5th wheel. We were on a 2-week trip last Christmas and stopped to fuel up and weighed the whole thing. The trailer weighs about 15K all together with our stuff in it, about 3k is on the hitch and 12k on the trailer axles. I can tow 16,200 according to Ford so I’m under max and I have no issues. We spend about 100 nights a year in the trailer because I use it for both business and pleasure.

When we bought the trailer I had them switch out the king pin for the Reese Goose Box after doing the diligence to make sure it would not affect my frame warranty. I need and use the bed of the truck so I really didn’t want a big 5W hitch taking up a good chunk of the bed. I run about 40 pounds of air in the hitch and about 12-15 pounds in the truck airbags.

We’ve towed it all over Texas and Oklahoma without issue and just got back from a few weeks in Angel Fire NM which is at 8400 feet and again had no issues. We keep our speeds down to 60-65 and are conservative with it mainly because of all the idiots on the road. So we plan accordingly and just don’t get in a hurry. This is our 4th trailer and our 1st 5W and it tows better and easier than any of the bumper pulls we have had.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, DKR, for the information; I'm a little relieved to read your post except for two things. I'm surprised that your 40 footer only weighs 15000 fully loaded and that your '15 has a tow rating of 16200. The 37 ft Mobile Suites that I have ordered, will have an unloaded weight of a little over 15k before I put the first beer in the fridge; and second, Ford rates the tow load of my '12, 6.7, cc, lwb, srw, at 15,700 pounds. I'm not looking at your configuration, but if it's the same as mine, I wonder how the '15 got the additional 500 pounds. Also, like you, I keep my speed down to 60-65, and am also all over NM, especially the area that you mentioned awa Taos and south across the mountains to Sipapou. I'm relieved to read that your truck handles such a large and heavy trailer so well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't go by Ford's publications as the numbers they print are for a truck with no options and a 150# driver; no passengers. To get a true number, ya'll should load the trailer and truck as you would when taking a trip. Go to the scales and weigh the combo truck/trailer, then drop the trailer and weigh the truck separately. Only then will you know how much you can add to the trucks GVWR and the GCWR, AND, you'll know the true trailer weights that you are dealing with.

Call me weight police if ya'll want, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your right, JS, and I think I said the same thing in this post or the other one; not sure. But when I pick up the five, the first trip is to the scale. GCWR is the main number for me.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have a class A CDL and use to pull over weight loads only. The key is to make sure your trailer breaks and tires are in great shape.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
The key is to make sure your trailer breaks and tires are in great shape.
And not travel in areas where you can be subject to being weighed. It does happen in Ca.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I tow a bunch. I have a 36 foot 16k 5ver, travel trailer, horse trailer, and big flatbed trailer. Hauled all over the country. Had several single wheel 350's and several duallys.

Never had any problem on any road or trip because of having a dually. Even in really remote back country. The older I get the more I prefer a dually because of its stability and simply really safe feeling. I would never exclude a dually purchase because of a concern for one specific location or trip. I've never had any regret on any road with a dually and I have been on many of the worst I think.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I lived in California for 4 years and there is not enough money in the world to make me travel back to that hell hole. But I understand I am taking a calculated risk. But I make sure I am safe. I had a leaf added ,air bags and upgraded breaks. I also travel at a safe speed and leave myself plenty of room when possible.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Not trying to derail this thread:

I've towed fivers since '89 and yeah 20 years ago, nobody even paid mind to a 45' triple axle sitting on a 3/4 ton. Times have changed, endorsement required at 10K trailer GVWR and yeah CHP is randomly stopping rigs. It's been said before on this forum: as California does, so does the rest of the country. I not going to tell anybody what to do, but I will make sure they are aware. Been an RV tech for 4 yrs now and I have delivered/seen lots of over gross rigs.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
If it happens to me I will just go buy a bigger truck. The wife would have no problem with me buying a new one. She tried to get me to buy one off the lot when I got this one. But I like living debt free

1 - 20 of 42 Posts