The Diesel Stop banner

Six Liter Woes

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  RocknRoll 
#1 ·
Well it starts already...

I bought a used 2005 F250 at the beginning of the month at my local Dodge dealer. 60k miles and in great shape. The first week i had it I put in an Edge insight and a Dieselsite coolant filter hoping to nip the EGR problems in the butt before they start. Immediately, the EOT and ECT were consistently 17-20 degrees apart at highway speeds. Yesterday, I started the truck and realized there was a problem. The truck threw so much white smoke out of the exhaust I thought someone elected a new Pope. The the engine began bucking and sputtering. I pulled over, popped the hood, and found zero coolant in the degas tank. It was full 2 days ago. I had it towed to the dealer where it's still under the 30 day warranty.

So here is where I ask the advice of the forum:

1. This does sound like the head gasket, or at least the EGR cooler, correct?
2. The dealer says they'll take care of it, but should I trust a Dodge dealer to know how to properly fix this? (oil cooler and EGR cooler as per TSB?)
3. If I can trust them to fix it, should I see if they'll put in stronger head studs and gasket and a better EGR cooler if I offer to pay the difference in parts?

If anyone has any direction or words of wisdom, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm so bummed about my truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Google TSB 09-8-3. Thats the TSB for coolant loss and will help them determine what that actual issue is.
Present it in a gentle manner if you want to directly give it to them.
Maybe ask them to give you a call when they determine what it is, and if it is head gaskets, be sure the heads are removed and checked for straightness/flatness and magnafluxed for cracks. They are well known for cracking in the valve seat area.
Dodge dealer would probably be OK with installing the headstuds if you get them first.
My issue with this whole thing is getting them to do the job properly.

My guess is that the truck was traded in knowing that this problem existed and they didn't want the expense of fixing it. If it was caught early enough, it might only be the oil cooler/EGR coolers.

#3 ·
yup they sure do crack, mine were cracked on the valve seats so the machine shope put in hardened valve seats.
when i did my studs i replaced the stock egr cooler for one from bulletproof diesel
and if you did blow the gaskets then i would have them put studs in while they are in there.
also regardless of whether its the head gaskets or the egr cooler, you need to make them replace the oil cooler. it would be good if you could post your actual tempatures for the oil and coolant

#4 ·
Geez, tough way to start off eh! But, welcome anyways. You can print this out 6L Coolant loss/testing etc. Like ex says "getting them to do it properly" is ongoing complaint/concern with 6L (dealer/shop) repairs.
DIY u can only get mad at yourself! :icon_wink:

Many reports here on "numerous trips to fix same problem" & those being done by :ford: tech's, not dodge. Lots of info. here you can print out & use if needed. I've done same, but chose my words carefully when I talked to tec.? It might get complicated, hopefully not. Update if u can. Good luck!

#5 ·
I feel your pain. This happened to me 4 months after I bought mine. Unfortunately for me there was no warranty at that point. $5K later I ended up with new studs/gaskets, egr delete, oil cooler etc. I just got it back yesterday and it runs fantastic. Make sure the heads are checked, one of mine was out .005 they were able to mill it flat so I didn't have to buy a new one. Also, Call Mike at Tousley ford and get any improved/updated parts since they have it apart anyway its worth the little extra now.

Good luck

#6 ·
Thanks for the insight, I'll keep everyone posted when I hear something. Since I put the Insight meter in, my ECTs were in the range of 184-190 degrees. EOT was around 204 to 209 but as high as 212 at times. Mostly it would be 17-19 degrees apart while cruising but would creep apart at times. I printed out the TSB and will discuss it with the dealer as soon as I talk to them. Hopefully they have a good diesel tech.

#7 ·
Ahhhh, The Dodge Boys. I have trusted mechanics in the states I tow in. One is in Spartanburg / Greeneville SC. A Dodge Boy, and one of the most insightful and talented 6.0 guys I have ever met. PS, I don't always carry my tools. b

#8 ·
Sounds like at the minimum a egr cooler and oil cooler. A good flush. I would however push for head gaskets and the whole show. If pushed I would buy the arps. They can be had for about 400 bucks shipped. thru various places.

#9 ·
The Dodge dealer called today. They acknowledged that the job is over their head and they're sending it to the local Ford dealer. The tech at the Ford dealer said he put his kids through college doing six liter repairs so it seems like things are going well. I'll keep everyone posted...

#11 ·
SixL...OK, so now its wait time till tech. has in bay for diag. As mentioned try & keep close contact. SA usually go between, but maybe tech. will talk with you? 30 day warr. certainly a plus & hopefully gets fixed right. Update on diag. if u can? Good luck!

#12 ·
I hope it works out for you. I had problems with mine as soon as I bought it too. After it was properly fixed, it has been a pleasure to own. The aggravation was worth it. I had to deal with a Ford dealer that was completely clueless. The second dealer I took it to had it diagnosed and fixed in a week (ARP's, Gaskets, ICP sensor o-rings, EGR and oil coolers). Stay in contact with the tech that is working on your truck. Push for new head gaskets and buy the ARP's (especially if you plan on any, even mild tunes). What year is the truck? If the Dodge Dealer is paying for the repairs, it may be easier for the tech to get you the whole nine yards (Studs, Gaskets, EGR and oil coolers, and whatever other upgraded parts that you choose to purchase.) Again, I hope it turns out as good for you as it did for me.

Alright just reread your first post and I see its an 05'

#14 ·
Still no news yet...

I just called the Ford dealer today and they told me that they haven't looked at the truck yet. It's been 8 business days so far, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being jerked around...:worried:

#16 ·
The saga continues...

I heard from Leo Kaytes Ford today. They told me that they had diagnosed the problem as a faulty EGR VALVE and were pleased to announce that the repair would be done today...:icon_confused:??????

First off, how does it take 3 weeks to change an EGR valve? On top of that, I don't know of any way that a faulty EGR valve can cause my coolant to blow out of the exhaust. Am I wrong? I questioned the service manager thoroughly and he was adamant that the EGR cooler appeared intact. I reminded him of my initial complaint of white smoke and an empty degas bottle and he said he would "double check" it.

I've had it. I've been more than patient with them so far, but 3 weeks without a truck with zero progress is insane. I'm going to go visit the dealer in person today, wish me luck.

#18 ·
I heard from Leo Kaytes Ford today. They told me that they had diagnosed the problem as a faulty EGR VALVE and were pleased to announce that the repair would be done today...:icon_confused:??????

I questioned the service manager thoroughly and he was adamant that the EGR cooler appeared intact. I reminded him of my initial complaint of white smoke and an empty degas bottle and he said he would "double check" it.
The TSB for coolant loss is VERY CLEAR. Go to this link: TSB 09-8-3(originally posted by OT)

Print that out and bring it with you. Hand it to the service advisor and ask what steps of the Ford TSB for coolant loss says to "replace egr VALVE?"

#19 ·
week four and still no truck...

Since week four has come and gone, I figure it's time for another update...

On Friday the 20th, after 3 weeks without a truck, the dodge dealer called and said that my truck was "fixed" and ready to be picked up. I showed up that afternoon and, being skeptical, requested that I test drive the truck with the service tech before signing for the repair. I test drove it hard, and there wasn't a puff of smoke, nor did the coolant level drop at all. I was baffled, maybe the Ford dealer actually fixed it.

Then I saw the invoice: "replaced EGR valve and serviced intake manifold"- $600-something dollars (thankfully covered by dealer warranty). I thanked the service manager, told him that I'll be back when it starts smoking again, and took my truck home.

Whatever they did lasted for 2 whole days. By Sunday it was smoking again, same as before. I went back to the dealer on Monday and told them that the band-aid fell off. We had a civil conversation :)twak:) at which time I told them I was not leaving the service counter until they had some answers for me. After about an hour, we agreed that the truck would go to one of the local diesel shops for repair, on their bill.

I stopped by the diesel shop yesterday afternoon. My intake was off, a ruptured EGR cooler was sitting on the bench, and the truck was waiting for new parts. It looks like my truck is finally getting fixed right. The mechanic, though familiar with the TSB, said that he couldn't verify that the oil cooler was bad for warranty purposes, so I asked him to order a new one on my bill and install it anyway while everything was torn apart. I also requested that he flush the coolant when all is said and done. Once it's together he'll check for head gasket failure, but if all goes well I should have my truck tomorrow. :clap::clap::clap:

My fingers are crossed...

#21 ·
yet another reason why my truck will never see the inside of a Ford dealership again. Great trucks, wont own anything else but their techs the educated good ones are few and far between.

#23 ·
This has been a tough fix so far. The toughest part has been getting the techs to acknowledge and follow the TSB. The Ford dealer, who had it first, has no excuse. That bulletin was published in 2009 (at least the version that I have); all Ford service departments should be very familiar with it by now. Since they flat out refused to even discuss it with me, its clear that they were just looking for a quick fix and didn't want to deal with it.

The local shop is a more delicate issue. While it seems they at least are familiar with the issues in the bulletin, I think the steps that Ford has laid out in the TSB are too labor intensive for a small shop to undertake and still be able to stay within the budget dictated by the warranty for the repair. After my experiences with the Dodge dealer so far, I can assume that the local diesel shop will have to fight for every penny that the dealer should be reimbursing them for the repair.

After considering this, I abandoned all hope of getting any work done under warranty that was outside the scope of the immediate and obvious problem. Head studs and gaskets will have to wait, unless they happen to be damaged now as a result of the EGR cooler failure. The oil cooler and coolant flush are being done on my dime, I don't want these problems to continue just because the dealer won't pay for them. We'll see, hopefully I'll have a good, strong running truck after all of this.

And the most important lesson learned...don't buy a Ford from a Dodge dealer!

#24 ·
Six..I understand what your saying & tks. for update. At least you'll be able to compare pre/post EOT/ECT after repairs. I imagine you'll do asap after fixed. Good luck.

btw...keep eye on degas btl. coolant level due to flush, may/maynot need to add more?

#25 ·
My Truck is Back!

I picked it up from the local diesel shop yesterday. I paid my portion of the bill ($600 for oil cooler service kit/ install and intake cleaning) and drove off into the sunset. I got about 1/2 mile away and noticed...no boost, no power, and CEL. Back to the shop.

The tech checked the code, then re-attached a vacuum line that had disconnected. He pulled out of the lot for a test drive, and the next thing I heard was a loud BOOM! He quickly returned to the shop and re-attached the hard line coming from the intercooler. Test drove it again, BOOM! This time it was the intercooler pipe connection at the turbo. Reattached it, test drove it again, and BOOM! (3rd time) This time it was the intercooler pipe intercooler. After reattaching it, he gave me the truck and told me to give it a go. I mashed on the throttle and nothing went Boom. Looks like it's good to go.

I drove it around all night and everything is great. ECT/EOT is 6-8 degrees different so far, no smoke, and no more fittings blowing off. I can't believe how much more power it has, though. That intake must have been REALLY clogged up. I'm guessing that's why those hoses blew off?

I have the old EGR cooler and oil cooler element, I'm going to cut them open and have a look later on. I'll post pictures if I find anything good.

Thanks for all the support!

#26 ·
Glad its fixed and your finally rolling again. I think one of the most important things about owning these trucks is to first and foremost understand them so as to maintain and remove parts that can cause issues, and secondly have a good reputable mechanic/shop who you trust back you up with work that's out of your abilities. If you have that, then you can have a 6.0l that will work for you and run like a wet cat.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.