The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be better (easier on tranny) to pull in 2nd and lock the tc with my switch or to use 1st(high/low?) thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I used 4low and shifted it from first to second... But I didnt win...LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it wont break shifting?lol is that better than taking off in 2nd?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
no, it will not break... I dont think you would hurt anything other then the 2nd cluches...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should i lock the tc or leave it?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
would it be better (easier on tranny) to pull in 2nd and lock the tc with my switch or to use 1st(high/low?) thanks guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you only use 2nd, you won't pull far-4lo drive, od off-lock the converter in 2nd

·
Registered
845 Posts
I pull in 2nd gear 4 low and usually place pretty good (3rd-5th place). I started off in 1st gear once by accident and then shifted to 2nd, but that didn't work out good at all, the engine bogged down and I lost my momentum. I haven't tried bbuntings idea yet, but I think I am doing pretty good in 2nd gear. What ever you do don't run in 1st gear, you definitely don't need that low of gear and you won't get enough speed.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Having pulled a sled once or twice, I can tell you that whomever pulls it the fastest pulls the farthest (on a properly set up sled). MPH is everything-you want it to get into 3rd if the track is long enough.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I want to ride in your truck if you're pulling in TX to see how it's done if that's ok.

·
Registered
845 Posts
bbunting,

I agree with what your saying, speed is definitely a key factor, but in 3rd gear will a stock truck or slightly modded truck have enough power to keep the sled moving? Obviously your truck has more than enough power, but if you can remember when your truck was just slightly modded, did you have enough power? I would think the truck might start down shifting which could hurt your momentuem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
76 Posts
Turn the chip to 120, get it moving, put foot to floor and let it go to 3rd. If you don't lay it all out you will be pissed konwing you could do better.

·
Registered
174 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
bbunting,

I agree with what your saying, speed is definitely a key factor, but in 3rd gear will a stock truck or slightly modded truck have enough power to keep the sled moving? Obviously your truck has more than enough power, but if you can remember when your truck was just slightly modded, did you have enough power? I would think the truck might start down shifting which could hurt your momentuem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a slightly modded truck will pull 3rd gear all that well. Last year my truck was just standard bolt ons (AFE stgII, DP chip, Suncoast, exhaust) for most of the year. I had a pulling tune from Jody that was setup to shift 1st and 2nd and not go into 3rd. I had 35's which probably hurt me because when the pan came up it pulled it down real quick, but they also helped me get a decent MPH. A 33" tall tire in 2nd gear low at 3200 RPM should get you around 20 MPH. That's my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I pulled in drive one time with my mild mods and as soon as the truck went into drive it totally bogged down and then downshifted. It did a ton better just pulling in second. I am sure there are lots of variables that effect this with power and gearing being biggies.

Tom

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Last time I pulled I put it in second and it hit the rev limiter very fast and I ended up pushing it into third but forgot to turn overdrive off. It ran through third then hit od and bogged. But I can keep the rpms right at about 3000 with the converter unlocked in third. second gear just isn't tall enough even with the 35,s and 373 gears with a locked converter it hit the rev limiter really fast.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Has anybody ever done a boosted launch on the sled. I mean like giving the truck as much throttle as the brakes can hold back and then just letting off the brakes and matting it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Around where I am the tracks are red clay that is a little moist and steamrolled. i swear the stuff has about as much traction as asphalt

·
Registered
845 Posts
Dieselkid,

Your truck has aftermarket injectors though, correct? Your dyno numbers are much higher than stock or mildly modded trucks. So for your truck it might be a differant story.

·
Registered
174 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I pulled I put it in second and it hit the rev limiter very fast and I ended up pushing it into third but forgot to turn overdrive off. It ran through third then hit od and bogged. But I can keep the rpms right at about 3000 with the converter unlocked in third. second gear just isn't tall enough even with the 35,s and 373 gears with a locked converter it hit the rev limiter really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your converter won't like that for very long. What kind of tires do you run? Did you just spin real bad in 2nd gear? If you were converter locked in 3rd you would be around 30 mph which would be flying. I don't know how to predict converter unlocked though. The top do Dmaxs are just starting to get to there 1-1 gear, and they are at alot more than 400HP. The guys that are doing it also seem to be running 33's, and 4.10's. That would be cool if that works for you though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 20 of 45 Posts