The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
bbunting,

I agree with what your saying, speed is definitely a key factor, but in 3rd gear will a stock truck or slightly modded truck have enough power to keep the sled moving? Obviously your truck has more than enough power, but if you can remember when your truck was just slightly modded, did you have enough power? I would think the truck might start down shifting which could hurt your momentuem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a slightly modded truck will pull 3rd gear all that well. Last year my truck was just standard bolt ons (AFE stgII, DP chip, Suncoast, exhaust) for most of the year. I had a pulling tune from Jody that was setup to shift 1st and 2nd and not go into 3rd. I had 35's which probably hurt me because when the pan came up it pulled it down real quick, but they also helped me get a decent MPH. A 33" tall tire in 2nd gear low at 3200 RPM should get you around 20 MPH. That's my 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
174 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Last time I pulled I put it in second and it hit the rev limiter very fast and I ended up pushing it into third but forgot to turn overdrive off. It ran through third then hit od and bogged. But I can keep the rpms right at about 3000 with the converter unlocked in third. second gear just isn't tall enough even with the 35,s and 373 gears with a locked converter it hit the rev limiter really fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your converter won't like that for very long. What kind of tires do you run? Did you just spin real bad in 2nd gear? If you were converter locked in 3rd you would be around 30 mph which would be flying. I don't know how to predict converter unlocked though. The top do Dmaxs are just starting to get to there 1-1 gear, and they are at alot more than 400HP. The guys that are doing it also seem to be running 33's, and 4.10's. That would be cool if that works for you though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts