The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone attacks me, i did use the search function and didnt find what i was looking for. i tried google and found some, but not all questions answered.

I want to know techniques. I am new to diesels and especially new to sled pulls. My truck is a 2005 F350 with SW CC with a six inch lift. basically stock with a stc livewire, intake, and mbrp 4" stainless turbo back with duals. i only have 35" mickey thompson ATZ tires but i have heard an aggressive all terrain is good. i have been to a couple sled pulls and have seen some guys build boost, some guys roll into it and build as they go. which is best?
a lot of guys have issues with hopping which seems to break stuff. is this controlled by feathering the throttle?
i have air bags in the rear suspension. how high of pressure should i use?
what tire pressure should i run?
im not sure the weight of my truck, but if i have room to add weight, is it best to keep the weight at the back of the box as far back as i can, or directly over the axel?
i have an automatic transmission- what should i do? manually put it in 1st? 2nd? just go with drive? im assuming tow/haul mode is a good idea.
4x4 high or 4x4 low?
what kind of hitch set-up do i have to bring?
some guys rev their trucks up before they stage. why? should i?

the type of pulls i would enter would be small town fall-fair kind of thing, but i do not want to look like an idiot when i go for my first pull in front of hundreds of people that i know. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Before anyone attacks me, i did use the search function and didnt find what i was looking for. i tried google and found some, but not all questions answered.

I want to know techniques. I am new to diesels and especially new to sled pulls. My truck is a 2005 F350 with SW CC with a six inch lift. basically stock with a stc livewire, intake, and mbrp 4" stainless turbo back with duals. i only have 35" mickey thompson ATZ tires but i have heard an aggressive all terrain is good. i have been to a couple sled pulls and have seen some guys build boost, some guys roll into it and build as they go. which is best?
a lot of guys have issues with hopping which seems to break stuff. is this controlled by feathering the throttle?
i have air bags in the rear suspension. how high of pressure should i use?
what tire pressure should i run?
im not sure the weight of my truck, but if i have room to add weight, is it best to keep the weight at the back of the box as far back as i can, or directly over the axel?
i have an automatic transmission- what should i do? manually put it in 1st? 2nd? just go with drive? im assuming tow/haul mode is a good idea.
4x4 high or 4x4 low?
what kind of hitch set-up do i have to bring?
some guys rev their trucks up before they stage. why? should i?

the type of pulls i would enter would be small town fall-fair kind of thing, but i do not want to look like an idiot when i go for my first pull in front of hundreds of people that i know. any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Well i'm not into sled pulling but...............i'm sure everyone is reading this post and saying to them self O my GOD.Brother:nono:..... with a stock truck and a turner and then pulling a sled,your truck is not going to last at all.I smell a blown head gasket whating to happen and then maybe a injector or two and then BOOOOOOM the hole thing goes south.Pulling a sled is going to give you some serious high EGT'S.You are going to need a EGT GAUGE and do not let it go over 1200 degs for a long time or you will be looking at a $5,000 bill to fix your head gasket.I not trying to be harsh :icon_wink: just trying to help a new 6.0L friend a helping hand:thumbsup: If i was you i would do some serious reading:read: on the the 6.0l before you go in to deep.Now on that note there are things that can be done to make it stonger but a stock truck don't stand a chance. JUST MY 2 CENS

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well i'm not into sled pulling but...............i'm sure everyone is reading this post and saying to them self O my GOD.Brother:nono:..... with a stock truck and a turner and then pulling a sled,your truck is not going to last at all.I smell a blown head gasket whating to happen and then maybe a injector or two and then BOOOOOOM the hole thing goes south.Pulling a sled is going to give you some serious high EGT'S.You are going to need a EGT GAUGE and do not let it go over 1200 degs for a long time or you will be looking at a $5,000 bill to fix your head gasket.I not trying to be harsh :icon_wink: just trying to help a new 6.0L friend a helping hand:thumbsup: If i was you i would do some serious reading:read: on the the 6.0l before you go in to deep.Now on that note there are things that can be done to make it stonger but a stock truck don't stand a chance. JUST MY 2 CENS
Agreed... IF you stay stock, you will blow it... You need the following mods before you even consider hooking to a sled...

APR Head Studs
Bulletproof EGR Delete
Bulletproof OIl Cooler
Coolant Filter
By-Pass Oil Filter
GUAGES (MANY GUAGES)
- Exhaust Gas Temp
- Engine OIl Temp
- Engine Coolant Temp
- Boost
- Tranny Temp
- Fuel Pressure Guage

Good luck........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx for the advice guys, i have the guages and studs and my tranny was just built. as far as the truck goes, i think it should be okay to go for one or two pulls. this isnt going to be a weekly occurance. but thanx for the advice so far.

now that the truck portion is covered, has anyone got any tecnique tips as well?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Don't forget trac bars to keep axle wrap to a min

·
Registered
246 Posts
a simple way of explaning axle wrap is. when power is applied to the drivetrain, the tires will have a certain amount of traction before they spin. during this time the tires try to propel the truck in the forward direction they apply an equall but opposite force on the rear end. If you stand beside the truck. The tires try to turn in a counterclockwise rotation and force the rearend in a clockwise rotation. Because the leaf springs that attach the axle to the truck are springs, they allow a certain amount of WRAP or twist. The problem with this is when the tires lose traction (spin) the axle wrap twists back to original position and then the tires regain traction and the wrap begins again. This process of traction, slip, traction, slip is usually what causes axle hop and severe loading of components. hope this description helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts