The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I'm not sure, it's too dark to go take a picture of my oily starter. But I can tell you it fits :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ordered the denso $147 totall, not too bad compared to napa or advanced.

·
Registered
694 Posts
2 cans break cleaner and a rebuilt kit and any shop with a spot welder you can rebuild them your self, usually a good tear down and rebuild solves most problems, cleaning the brush guides and honing the brushes flat again and cleaning the commutater with the right undercut of the mica, clean lubricate the gears and bendex.

As for electrical take apart and wire brush and clean, re-assemble then cover in dialectic grease, and all the signal lines I replaced with 10awg marine rated wire, crimped and soldered then heat shrunk with the double walled glued heat shrink. takes allot of work but the next time you'll work on the starting system will be ruffely never.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
The problem is getting decent parts. At work I rebuilt everything from the 30+ lb. 24V Delco (Cummins 335) starters on down, but nowdays looking all over the net all I could find for my Ford was DB Electric and a couple others that appeared to have nothing but "overseas" brushes, brgs, solenoids, etc. I gave up, went to the local auto/electric and he rebuilt mine with top quality components in a couple hours for only $104.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
well i got the new one in, and the truck starts like a champ. the old one must have been going out for a while

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
probably true. also the denso starter is a monster. mine would keep starting my truck even when my batteries were long past the point when I should have replaced them. Maybe it's just set up for a lower voltage.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts