The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got a rusty Excursion that I’m trying to yank back from a scrap yard fate. Great engine, ok frame, meh body. But it was really cheap.

The spacer that sits in the frame box to help support the steering box has rusted away - and there are two small holes in the frame in that area. One inside near the box, the other outside - rust holes. The frame passes a hammer test in that area.

Think it’s safe to drive? What sort of repair should I do here? Pics attached. You can see the hole just above the bottom bolt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You weld? If not then not much you can do. Is it safe? like from the Marathon man.

·
Premium Member
15,029 Posts
I agree with Doc. You’re going to need to fit a buttress over that weakened area and reinforce it. A plate of steel cut to size and predrilled. Make sure it wont trap water in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I would definitely try and cut a piece of pipe and replace the spacer if there’s anyway to work it in there. Your still going to get water and moisture in between the frame and patch unless you clean away the rotted steel and weld up those holes before putting the patch over it. Regardless, i would go over the rest of the frame as well, I would suspect that other areas are probably not far behind, though there is a lot of water slung around up in the wheel wells. If it was me I might consider skip welding the bottom of the patch to allow moisture to escape....... but as it rusts it will probably seal itself up holding moisture again- just depends how many years you’re wanting to get out of it.

·
Super Moderator
26,300 Posts
What Big Horn and the others said. I would be concerned about corrosion eating away at the bottom of the frame as well. That's the portion that's more stressed. Usually welding on the flanges of a frame is a no-no, but you could probably get away with a patch there as well if needed. Any patch you put in place needs to be welded in where there's solid metal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can weld but I'm thinking this might be a job for a shop. I can lay a good bead, but this feels like something best left to people who can lay down a stack of dimes with a tig torch. This is right in that area with the track bar mount, and steering box -- so whatever is done there, it's critical that it's done on good metal and with good penetration. I don't quite trust myself to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts