The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’ve noticEd a small drip of what I think is oil at the front of the drive shaft, coming off of the cable in this pic. Not sure if the leak is there or blowing back from further forward on the engine. Any immediate ideas? I haven’t had a chance to crawl under our rig and thoroughly investigate yet, but I’m hoping to when we stop for the night.

Gas Automotive tire Cake Wood Outdoor shoe

·
Super Moderator
26,779 Posts
It appears that you have a driveshaft mounted parking brake assembly. I haven't seen one like that before, but I believe your leak is a slight leak from the transmission output shaft seal. Unless it's dripping on the driveway, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the transmission fluid level is correct.

If you post what year and model you have, it would help others give you better information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears that you have a driveshaft mounted parking brake assembly. I haven't seen one like that before, but I believe your leak is a slight leak from the transmission output shaft seal. Unless it's dripping on the driveway, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the transmission fluid level is correct.

If you post what year and model you have, it would help others give you better information.
Sorry, yes I should’ve said what make and model we have. It’s a 2000 Ford E-450 retired ambulance with the 7.3 power stroke turbo diesel. We’re flipping it into an RV.

i’ve never seen a parking brake assembly like this one either, I had no idea it was like that until I got under it. Problem with replacing that seal is that the parking brake assembly will have to come off as well…..but I’d like to eventually fix it. Should be an easy job, just a bit more involved because of the brake.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts