The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my biannual check (CA) yesterday and my truck passed all the tests except the on-board computer would not allow the scanner tool to check for proper emission system function. It told the scan machine it was "not ready". The tech showed me on my own Scangauge that it was indeed not ready. They told me to drive it a bit and come back at a later date to recheck it. As I was driving home, my Scangauge readout came back as "Ready", so I immediately went back to the smog station and had it retested. Their machine (they even tried another one) still said it was "not ready". I called the local Ford dealer and they said they couldn't do anything for this problem and again told me to drive it for at least 100 miles. I have not disconnected the batteries in months, and I would think the computer would not need to be given more time to reset or whatever it does. Oh, and the Ford dealer said they have another guy that had the same issue and he had to contact the state smog board after driving 1,000's of miles with a Not Ready fault. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
Are your batteries in good shape? Have you cleared any codes recently?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Batteries are top of the line Diehard Platinum about a year old and I haven't had any codes to clear. The truck runs perfectly. If anyone else has had this issue, I would like to know what the outcome was. Is it possible the Scangauge is causing this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
When in doubt return to stock, so unplug the SGII and drive around for maybe 50 miles and recheck it. 50 miles should be enough to clear anything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try driving it for a bit and will post results-I get one free recheck before I have to pay for another test. Just curious-I assume the worst case scenario would be I have to replace the computer. What would this cost for the part and labor?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm finding the right part, but my searches seem to indicate that the PCM is NLA (No Longer Available) new. Reman may be your only option. Its extremely rare for a PCM to go bad. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of a legit case of it, though some have been replaced erroneously.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You can go to a "referee" and ask for a pass. That will give you two more years to figure it out.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: It passed! I don't know whether it was from returning to stock tune, disconnecting the Scangauge for several days, or just driving it for about 150 miles. Stock tune feels so under-powered so it's back to Tow Performance tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Ah! That's CA for you. We buy a lot of surplus used runners from CA due to the tier ratings put in place by the EPA back in 1994. Most strict emissions regulations in the country.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cat

Exhaust Assembly
Ford Truck F250 Super Duty 6.0 DIESEL A 00002180 $500 A-1 Truck & Van USA-AZ(Apache-Junction) E-mail 480-983-0511

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went through this last month with my 2000 7.3. It has passes each time since they started testing diesel engines. I was given three pages of instruction on FMC Driving Cycle. Fourteen steps to complete a cycle, while hooked up to a scan tool. It is also recommended that you avoid hard acceleration. Ford says to start with a cold engine, complete the cycle, park the vehicle for a minimum of eight hours before repeating the cycle. I simplified the process by starting out with a cold engine, and drove 10-15 miles at various speeds, up to 65 mph, then parking the truck. I did this six times over a span of three days. I checked for codes(none shown), and passes the test the first time. I've heard that this procedure for the smog test was changed a few months ago. After that this type of failure started showing up. I hope this helps.

CAL-EPA has been in existents for 48 years. In that time they have #&%@ed up everything they've done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts