The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 7.3 4x4 Excursion periodically blows smoke from the vents in the dash directly behind the windshield.

Originally I thought it was diesel exhaust but googling indicated I likely had a mouse nest behind my blower motor resistor. (I was inclined to believe this because I had already removed a mouse nest from under the center console.

However I opened it up today and... no nest. And no blower motor resistor. Apparently it is a “blower control module” part no 2c3h19e624aa

So. Ideas where the smoke might be coming from?

·
Premium Member
9,458 Posts
What does it smell like?

On my old 84 I had quite a few leaves build up onto the resistor and actually started on fire. It filled the cab of the truck with smoke that smelt just like burning leaves. It also destroyed the resistor where I only had high on the fan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke smells unpleasant, a bit acrid. Could be leaves, paper, exhaust, electrical. Really not sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction: it is coming out between the windshield and the dash from the center of the windshield.

I removed the blower motor completely and unplugged the blower motor resistor so I am confident the problem isn’t either of those. I also don’t see any smoke under the hood at idle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update I found smoke coming from the CCV between the top of the valve cover and the bottom of the CCV.

I have replacement o-rings on the way but I am most concerned about how the exhaust / smoke entered the cab so easily. What should I be checking?

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
Smoke from the engine compartment would leak out at the rear of the hood, and immediately get sucked into the heater inlet right behind it.
Good that you found the source.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Closing the loop on this. The issue is finally fixed. It was a bad up pipe. The pipe has neatly separated from the flange on the end. That turbo replacement was very likely unnecessary.

First shop did sloppy work and diagnosis. I ended up taking it to a second shop which spotted the issue and fixed it properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts