The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Pardon me if my questions have already been answered in previous posts, have not had time yet to read through the forum, but I will.

I have a 2005 Excursion Limited 4WD with the 6.0 Powerstroke, 116,000 miles, well maintained.

This winter, for the first time, it takes a while to warm up. Also, I have been told that I am smoking (white) quite a lot, especially on acceleration, but it is not visible in my mirrors.

I bought the car with 80,000 miles, do not know if the engine was rebuilt, but suspect not.

This is my third diesel and 2nd Excursion (the other Excursion was a V10 gas).

My question is (and maybe this is just wishful thinking) can I get back the better cold start performance and eliminate the smoke with a tune or fuel injection adjustments, or am I getting close to rebuild time?

If a rebuild is in my future, what could I expect to pay and what is involved?

Sorry if these questions are elementary to you masters, but any guidance you can provide will be much appreciated.

I am very happy with the Ford, and plan to keep it a long time.

Thanks

· Registered
456 Posts
NEED somemore info.... When was the motor build date? and what else what the EX doing at the time of white smoke? was it just the smoke or was it hard to start then rough idel with white and then gone when the EX was warm?????? what does your coolant look like.

If its on 05 Ex I think your motor is on 04... just like the dash....but im not 100% on EX's

· Registered
2,336 Posts
If you have white smoke you need to look at the egr valve if it is damp or wet egr cooler is bad are you low on coolant here is the check
DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning
and
DTS Articles - EGR Servicing
and if it takes a long time to warm up t/stat may be stuck open
Need gauges something like the Edge insight, fuel pressure gauge under 45lbs kills injectors, weak or bad batteries will also kill the FICM you will have starting problems and running problems. Need to run Syn oil and use only Ford filters. Need to do some :read:ing
2 stroker:ford:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the insights, I'll do some investigating. Have also been reading a lot in the forum. This place is a gold mine, but almost an overload of info. Lots to think about.

Now I see how broad my question is. Hopefully, I can get some answers so we can come to a better diagnosis.

I'll be back.

· Registered
14 Posts
If you come across any posts from ex-mounty, look in his signature and you will find a link titled "Basic info every 6.0 owner should know.". I found it to be a very informative resource. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.