The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was towing our camper today and had to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident and smoke the brakes. I could see the smoke coming from the brakes when I got out of the truck. I have about 15k on the new pads and rotors. I would like to replace the pads with something better than the Motorcraft replacement pads I installed.Is there a pad that will help this from happening again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have power slot rotors and hawk pads on mine, and like them. Living at 8,000 ft, I do a lot of up and down hill driving. Pull a loaded 16 ft cargo trailer some of the time.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The first thing I would say is to check the trailer brakes and make sure you can manually lock them. While there is a safety overload factor, truck brakes on any manufacturers product are not sized for trailers.

One of the situation with after market pads, any aftermarket pads, is that they don't go through as long of a post bake process as OE products due, so the thermal history of the pads is important is getting the pads out of the green state. Even though 15k was put on the truck, even with that if you haven't exceeded say 700F prior the pads are still "green" above that temperature.

And it's possible to generate smoke and odor from any pads. Part of our past work was to get OE pads (which have the longest bake and high temperature cycles) to burn and time how long they would continue to burn. Man we hated that process.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed the pads out for some motorcraft one's and took .002 off each rotor. Put it all back together and they work great. I wonder if the trailer brakes can be adjusted?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also love my Hawk LTS pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts