The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to a shattered rear window on my snugtop extravision the other morning. No vandalism, just a busted window. Bought the topper 3 weeks ago used from Michigan Trailer Sales in PHX. It is in mint condition, I did not see any flaws in the glass.

Now I find out it's $530 to replace it!
BS No Warranty On Glass...

Makes me want to build a custom fiberglass setup. Could get a custom cut fiberglass piece and make a sweet wooden frame that utilizes to the original locking mechanism.

Anyone else fab up a custom topper rear window?
Anyone else have the same thing happen?

Happy New Year,
Neil

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'd be curious to see how many of your neighbors might have experienced the same thing. There are some environmntal wackos or just plain idiot kids with BB guns who have been targeting SUV's and large trucks around here, maybe the same for you who knows.

Sorry to hear about the glass, my topper uses a flat piece of glass so I suspect it will be much cheaper to replace if I ever need to, at least I hope.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no vandalism here
truck was parked pretty far off the road where no one can see it.
no tire tracks or foot tracks in the deep snow anywhere near the truck either.

·
Registered
372 Posts
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nchappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else have the same thing happen?</div></div>

Yes! And I sold the canopy just yesterday to make sure I never had to replace the glass again! The canopy was on the pickup when we bought it so I didn't investigate costs unitl the back glass busted. I sold the canopy for just a bit more than the replacement cost of the glass so I didn't lose any $$ on the deal but did not want to go through that again. Very good looking canopy but relatively "fragile".

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I had one on my topper explode back in the 80's. It was sitting in the driveway. I had mirrored glass covering on it (so you couldn't look into the topper), so the glass just shattered but stayed in the frame. Time of year was in the May-June time frame, late afternoon, so I don't know if temperature changes from the sun-heated glass as it cooled down had anything to do with it or not. I replaced it with a piece of plexiglass. Much cheaper alternative.

short-stuff

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just noticed I said fiberglass in my OP, meant plexiglass.

Sort Stuff, how did the plexiglass work for you? was it hard to fab, was it expensive?
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah the same thing happened to my friend's snugtop extravision last month, a bunch of snow packed in between the glass and topper...it froze and then the next day when the topper heated up...the glass broke off the hinge.

he found a shop that will charge $130 for 1/4" thick dark grey tinted pexiglass

·
Registered
1 Posts
exploding glass

hey i had the same thing happen to me. all i did was touch my friends camper shell glass and it exploded! i think its because its tempered glass and if it is moved wrong it will explode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Sungtop Extravision rear glass exploded last week possibly from the cold here in Idaho or whatever, I don't know for sure. I've had the cap for over 6 years and been through many winters colder than this one down in the mountains of Utah so maybe something else caused it as mentioned here (looseness, ice, snow) but all I did was open and close it early in the morning and it shattered into 50,000 pieces, wow what a cleanup. Anyway, I know this is an old thread but am just curious if anyone has any futher details about replacing with Plexiglas. New glass from Snugtop Dealer is $595 plus tax which is a no can do for us so if 1/4" Pglas will work then that is what I need to do but what measurements, who has it and who can cut it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My Sungtop Extravision rear glass exploded last week possibly from the cold here in Idaho or whatever, I don't know for sure. I've had the cap for over 6 years and been through many winters colder than this one down in the mountains of Utah so maybe something else caused it as mentioned here (looseness, ice, snow) but all I did was open and close it early in the morning and it shattered into 50,000 pieces, wow what a cleanup. Anyway, I know this is an old thread but am just curious if anyone has any futher details about replacing with Plexiglas. New glass from Snugtop Dealer is $595 plus tax which is a no can do for us so if 1/4" Pglas will work then that is what I need to do but what measurements, who has it and who can cut it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
You might check with a glass installer to cut it for you. I bought mine at Home despot and cut it to size with a jigsaw and metal blade. keep in mind that my back window was framed, but I would think the plexiglass would give you want you need economically.

short_stuff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks SS

I'm going to follow your advice and try going the low cost way (DIY) if I can get the 'glas at Home Depot like you say rather than having it done at a shop.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Ours busted out a few weeks ago, due to my negligence. There is no distributor here in Florida, so I would have to add huge shipping costs. Went to an auto body shop to ask about plexiglass and they said not to do it...not sturdy enough. If you need one, check Craigslist in your area and see if someone is selling their Snugtop cheap and take off that window.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts