The Diesel Stop banner

So who's hearing what about a '09 F-150 diesel?

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  fordmantpw 
#1 ·
For a while there was a lot of discussion about a rumored 4.4L diesel for the '09 F-150. Anyone heard anything recently?

#2 ·
At this point it's way past the rumour stage. A diesel is coming. If Ford spending $millions for a new automation line from MAG to build it means anything. Exactly what model year? I would think they want to start getting their investment back soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#3 ·
Also GM is building a v6 duramax in western, ny for the 1/2 market. That is supposed to be 2009 model year I heard.

#6 ·
I'm in south america right now and see new chevy luvs ( yes luv's four little doors and a small bed 4x4) and they have dmax badges on them. I havent got a chance to look under the hood But I wonder what motor they have. They are diesel but as far as size I dont know.

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Also GM is building a v6 duramax in western, ny for the 1/2 market. That is supposed to be 2009 model year I heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woohoo! I can't wait to see one of those. Especially in a 1/2 ton Van setup. 5spd auto. Great mileage, I bet, even with the horrid 2010 emissions.

Nate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in south america right now and see new chevy luvs ( yes luv's four little doors and a small bed 4x4) and they have dmax badges on them. I havent got a chance to look under the hood But I wonder what motor they have. They are diesel but as far as size I dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me cheby has a vehicle called luvs... those are supposed to be diapers. what is cheby thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tell me cheby has a vehicle called luvs... those are supposed to be diapers. what is cheby thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... you are young!!

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We had them in Iraq also. Pretty gutless, but they run and had cold A/C!

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... you are young!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I was surprise to see chevy luvs they havent made one in the states for like 30 years. I have also seen a fairly new ford carrier (sp) pickup the one that like a ranger.

#12 ·
Chevy never made ANY Chevy LUV's in the US. All made in Japan by ISUZU. They even made & imported a few diesel powered LUV's back in the 70's or early 80's. WHOPPING 65 HP with the little I think 1.8L 4-cyl. oil burner. I had a '74 gas version....biggest POS I've ever owned. Local dealers wouldn't even get Me parts to keep it running....Only thing that saved Me was one dealer had a '75 with a rod sticking out the side of the block He'd let Me "Borrow" parts from. And the local import junk yard knew what Toyota parts would fit & work. I had the thing about 1-1/2 yrs and got rid of it and got My first F-150. Every fall I'd take the LUV out to Dad's and use galvanized flashing, Pop-Rivets, & RTV to patch the holes in the body so the snow & cold wouldn't drift inside the cab. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

#13 ·
Unless they can get the emissions to equal a gasser in all respects, CARB ain't going to certify it. That knocks out CA, NY, MA and a few other states, which represent over 50% of the market share.

Sad to say, but a lot of these "PR engines" are never going to make to production. There's only so much you can do with the chemistry of diesel combustion and still expect to make money.

- Jay

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Mabe the 6,7-liter diesel coming just 6 months later will be something really worth attention. Around next Christmas.
The 4,4-litre will be in the streets around one year from now, as far as I have heard. 310 + HP...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I started a post yesterday asking about Fords "rumored" 6.7 liter diesel, what do you know about it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

#15 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Unless they can get the emissions to equal a gasser in all respects, CARB ain't going to certify it. That knocks out CA, NY, MA and a few other states, which represent over 50% of the market share.

Sad to say, but a lot of these "PR engines" are never going to make to production. There's only so much you can do with the chemistry of diesel combustion and still expect to make money.

- Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, what are your thoughts (whatcha know) on the 4.4? Will it make it to production for the F150? Any idea when?

#16 ·
Heh, the comments you quoted were directed at the 4.4L. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif CARB doesn't want any more diesels, period, and even if the mfg'ers can make a diesel as clean as a gasser, the diagnostics requirements for vehicles under 8600lb are tremendous.

In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd wager that less than 25% of all the "announced" diesels you see as possibilities for '09 or '10 will never see the light of day. Heck, even VW is having a bunch of trouble getting the TDI ready for next year, and they have more LD diesel experience than anyone!

- Jay

#17 ·
That's what I was afraid of. Hopefully it will make it to the F150 and I'll be able to purchase one before they get killed by CARB. I understand the need for cleaner air, but dam, it takes so much more fuel to get there, doesn't it defeat the purpose? Surely there is a happy medium!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.