The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i had a 1990 f250 xlt long bed 7.3L w a banks turbo a 1995 power stroke trans 4x4 until tragedy struck the truck managed to catch fire and she burned to the ground. now i have full coverage w state farm and they are trying to screw me hard. they say i have to bring them comparative price listings of the truck in my area off of craigslist or ebay or wherever google throws me. they will not let me use nada used car buyers guide nor kbb. sounds a little weird right? can someone tell me where to look that doesn't just show up on a google search please or if there is something i can do? or am i just gonna have to bite the bullet and start over. thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Check out AutoTrader.

Odds are they are working in your favor getting you to find what a comparable truck in your area will sell for rather than going with NADA or Kelly Blue Book. I know that on my 96 Kelly Blue Book list it for 2000-3000 less than what they are going for on the open market.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Check out AutoTrader.

Odds are they are working in your favor getting you to find what a comparable truck in your area will sell for rather than going with NADA or Kelly Blue Book. I know that on my 96 Kelly Blue Book list it for 2000-3000 less than what they are going for on the open market.
Bugman,

Is the KBB you looked at for Private Party or Dealer?

I have never heard of an insurer hoping to pay out more money before.

Colorado really sounds like Utopia.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Bugman,

Is the KBB you looked at for Private Party or Dealer?

I have never heard of an insurer hoping to pay out more money before.

Colorado really sounds like Utopia.

Cheers
I have looked at private party.

That is the problem with our trucks both the IDI's and Powerstrokes....they hold their value even if the people that write the books don't agree. Very seldom can you find one of these trucks for what the book says, they are always worth more. That is unless they have been trashed.

All I can think of with the OP's insurer is that they want to give him fair market value for his trucks and not low ball him. It doesn't seam possible but it does happen every now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insurance offered me 2140$ and that's it blue book listed at 6700. I wouldn't be as sad if they met in the middle but there is no way I can get even a decent diesel for 2100. I found one 90 idi w banks turbo and they were asking 5500 for it so I sent that in because its close to my area. Other than that the other 90 idis are non turboed and usually run down. So to compare is putting me at the low end of the stick. I was just hoping someone would know another forum or something that sells just obs style trucks or something. I'm doing everything I can to find stuff to fight this.

·
Premium Member
9,595 Posts
Your first problem is that they are not going to even look at the turbo or any other mods that you have done to your truck. In their minds all you have is a 1990 F250 with a non turbo IDI. So look at the book value of that, even if it is in perfect condition you will only usually get the fair value. The turbo and transmission isn't going to figure in unless you had that listed on your policy. Also if you converted it to a 4x4 and didn't notify them then they will only look at a 2 wheel dirve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know there not going to look at the turbo or other mods I personally put 7grand in the truck give or take. I'm not asking them to cover the mods on the insurance value part. I am claiming due diligence on the transmission torque converter and transfer case because they were all replaced less than 25k miles. But that's on top of what they are giving me for the truck itself. I mentioned the other listing because its the only one I found that was even close in comparison the rest are just junk or beat to hell and back. I had the whole banks set up from chip to intake to exhaust to the diesel sending unit for the tanks. I chocked all that up already. All I really want is a fair amount at least close to blue book to get me started on getting another 7.3L I know I'm eating a huge loss but I'm not truing to get bent over w no lube or even spit you know what I'm saying.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
$2140 ?

KBB of $6700 ?

Don't accept that check and start making some noise with the headquarters in Bloomington, IL.

Do you have a collection of receipts that prove proper maintenance (not upgrades) ?

Do you have any recent photos that show condition ?

Submit those as well since they would show that your truck was in good condition and not an old farm or construction site truck.

Think of their initial offer as a starting point in negotiations.

Hopefully you can get them up to maybe $3,500-$4000.

BTW, how long have you been insured with State Farm? I am guessing you don't have other types of insurance with them.

Here is a search engine that will check every Craigslist ad in every city.
http://www.searchtempest.com

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Since you had a 95 PSD tranny in it, did you have a Bauman or like trans controller for it. There expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the trans was a complete upgrade I went all out on it inside and out. I looked up kbb and nada and submitted both papers w vehical listings of the base model of the truck and she told me they do not use kbb pr nada. Yes I have the receipts for everything. I have already reported them to my claim handler and she said they will just pay for parts not labor. And from the trans was a $3000 job total they estimated 1500 for parts and than there trying to get out of the transfer case bill saying they can't read his handwriting. All my maintenance bills they won't even look at they said they don't care about those and the original maintenance log burned w the truck. I am working on emailing the pictures of the truckto myself to fax them but yeah I have a couple pictures. And yeah hopefully $4500 at minimum but I can work w that amount. Plus the due diligence for the parts I just put in the truck. And I just signed up w them about 7 months ago. I drove the truck to Cali and back to NC no tickets or anything. But yeah I'm making as much noise as possible. I'm trying to work any angle I can. I've never been on a forum or much of any social media really ever so I'm really trying to reach out and find some help. And I appreciate the site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the insurance lady also said the truck has to be directly in my area. i can not shop anywhere else but my city. im at the point im about to start climbing the ladder if she keeps stuffing me back in a corner. i did not own a piece of **** farm truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fight State (Fraud) Farm. They wanna get you as cheap as possible. Check to see if you have loss of use in your insurance, if you do they have to pay you whatever the cost is for a rental so you might come out ahead in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts