The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the whole plugging in a diesel truck in the winter.
I live in a condo (on the second floor) with no option of being able to plug-in... so with that being said, is there an option out there for me to not plug in my truck? thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where do you live?

If in the south, with infrequent freezing temps, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are in MN, you'll have a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
If you can't plug in the block heater on winter nights then you will definitely want to use a full Synthetic 5W-40 motor oil.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
It will also be very important to make sure your 12v system is maintained properly and the batteries are in good health, the connections are "bright & tight" and the alternator is working to spec.

Also make sure that ALL of your Glow Plugs (GP) and your Glow Plug Relay (GPR) have been tested in the Fall and are working to spec.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
The fuel stations in your area will automatically prepare for colder winter temps by changing the diesel fuel additives at the pump to prevent the diesel from "gelling" in frigid temps. This is where waxes in the fuel actually solidify due to low temperature. This typically occurs in the fuel bowl and the wax solids block the fuel system and prevent cold weather starting.

Depending on what year Ford you purchase, it is also a common practice for guys to use an additional additive when fueling up...one that is rated for winter use as an additional safeguard against fuel "gelling".

Also, if you are considering a 6.0 then not being able to plug in a block heater will likely increase the chance of "stiction" issues with your injectors. This can be mitigated by using a product called Archoil AR9100 which is added to your motor oil at each oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
As Articdriver said,

If all your system are good and the engine well maintained you shouldn't have too much problem. I add my truck in -35*C not plug in, didn't have any problem. Lucky me i was in the middle of nowhere ???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts