The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of building a 1in thick box running from the fender well to the fire wall up under the foot well to fill with foam. I already put sound deadening mats on floor and in doors. Also replaced door seals and mod to them. Has anyone tried it. I am retired and always looking to make ride better for wife and kids. I also had a friend make me a boot for my steering wheel. I might go to a smaller tire if this does not work but they are only two weeks old.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will take any advice on getting the noise down. My wife is pregnant with twins again and likes to sleep on long drives.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Some engine mods to quiet down the engine.
Id suggest a hpx line , riffraff frx and a turbo blanket. Those should help quiet the engine some and aren't too expensive.

Also make sure the up pipes aren't leaking and don't run an open element air filter. The ford AIS is quiet as it gets and adds airflow.

My 7.3 puts me to sleep while I drive haha.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try those mods. I plan on driving it for another 10 years. My goal is to put 1,000,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
biggest sound improvements for me:

1) steering shaft gasket

2) door gasket mod

3) added insulation at shifter boot (zf6)

4) added insulation under carpet

5) added insulation in all open areas under dash

6) increased fuel pressure to 80 psi

7) ARCHOIL added to every other oil change

My E99 is nice and quiet now

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Rear wall is an area many overlook for noise. I had my rear seat out for a while and what a difference in noise. A lot of it was the vents but even with blocking them, still quite a bit of ambient noise.

The solution would be to sound deaden them. Also the pillars between the front and rear doors are just big hollow tubes, adding deadener there will help a lot.

I did the whole cab which might be over kill (you can see some of the area I did in post #9 of my work log, the link is below)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Rear wall is an area many overlook for noise. I had my rear seat out for a while and what a difference in noise. A lot of it was the vents but even with blocking them, still quite a bit of ambient noise.
The vents are needed so that the HVAC system can move air into the cabin.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well for sure the 7.3 is a distinctively LOUD engine, and comparable to none like it, it's true...
But, from the little I know, and read about, a lot of the noise you hear comes from the tires on the road...
My wife has a Prius, and you know how quite they are, yet even on the road there is still significant noise
even in her car...and it seems even louder in the rear seat, where your body is just inches from the rotating tires..
If I remember correctly some guy here on the TDS, wrapped his exhaust pipes with some material to reduce exhaust
noise and heat...
I don't now, it just gives you so much more to think about

Take Care

Tony

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
A lot of smaller cars don't have a ton of insulation to save weight.

Ya the area behind the rear seat has zero material to deaden sound.

Nick was the one who wrapped everything. Honestly I've thought about getting some sound deadening material to go over the valve covers. The injectors are the noisiest part of the engine.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The vents are needed so that the HVAC system can move air into the cabin.
Sorry, I guess I didn't word that very well. What I meant was even when the seat was installed and "blocking" the vents, they still let quite a bit of noise in, it just got a lot more noticeable with it out.

They are also needed to allow pressure equalization when you close the door with all the windows up. As shown in my work log, I did not block the vents, just sealed up the sheet metal around them and that helped considerably in noise reduction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts