The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 7.3 psd, it didn't have the key when I bought it. I am trying to get the spare down just in case I have a flat. I tried one of my friends but it didn't work. I was told it is exspensive to have the dealer get them down for you. Is there any way to get the tire down or what should I do?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Go to the parts dept and ask them for the number to the company that sells the keys. There are 13 of them or so. For you to get the key you have to tell them the key code that is located on a piece of paper in your glove box unless someone else has moved it. My truck does not have a key, the square end of the rod is what fits and lowers the tire. Take a flash light and look down the shaft to see what shape yours is. I don't know what year Ford began using the funky spare tire keys. Good luck and hopefully this helped ya some.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have a 02 7.3 psd, it didn't have the key when I bought it. I am trying to get the spare down just in case I have a flat. I tried one of my friends but it didn't work. I was told it is exspensive to have the dealer get them down for you. Is there any way to get the tire down or what should I do?
Common problem. The star section that the special key fits into will come out it you can slip something in there to pull or pry it out. I lost my key, getting one from Ford was more trouble than it was worth. One of the issures is security and the special key while it seems to provide some it really doesn't. This is what I did when I lost my key. I took a hack saw and wired it to a broom handle. I slipped the hack saw between the bumper, frame and tire. I cut the cable. It took about a minute to put the tire on the ground, so much for security. Then I went to the dealership and bought another winch, 69 bucks it only has two bolts. Put that on without the special key and the square end of the handle fits and operates it fine. Put a chain and lock around the frame and tire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Spare Tire Key

MIne was missing on my used (2K mi) 07, no OEM owners manual. Had to drive to a dealer with a complete key "set" to check for the correct one, asked for & dealer ordered it @ no charge to me. (iirc they wanted about $75.) Took about a week or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. After looking it over for awhile I took the torch and cut the bracket that holds the tire up. Took out two bolts that hold the winch on. Got the winch out, pryed the key out. Cleaned up the cut, welded it back together, bolted it down. Works good with handle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Follow up question here.

If you don't have a spaer tire on the hanger would it be possible to unbolt the wench and remove the security key that way?

I just bought the truck and it didn't have a spare, so I made the guy give me one. the problem was he didn't have the key to hang it back under the truck. I have the spare riding in the bed of my truck, but would much prefer to mount it under the truck. Of course don't want to spend a bunch time and money trying to find a spare tire key.

·
Registered
67 Posts
simple solution to this issue i had the same thing
all you have to do is call McGard the company that makes the key
take a picture up the tube not as hard as it sounds email it to them
presto they will call you back charge you $30 and ship you out a new key and the number
no need to cut hack or cause general mayhem

·
Super Moderator
25,643 Posts
Follow up question here.

If you don't have a spaer tire on the hanger would it be possible to unbolt the wench and remove the security key that way?

I just bought the truck and it didn't have a spare, so I made the guy give me one. the problem was he didn't have the key to hang it back under the truck. I have the spare riding in the bed of my truck, but would much prefer to mount it under the truck. Of course don't want to spend a bunch time and money trying to find a spare tire key.
The way I understand it is if the spare isn't mounted, all you have to do is crawl under and pry the key socket off the winch. Then, assuming the winch is working, you can just crank your spare in place. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I finally got the time to crawl under there last night, and poped off the tube and poped out the key adapter. Cranks with the jack crank just fine. The whole process took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. I hammered a 4' piece of 1/2" EMT in the tube. It went right around the diameter of the key. 2. Then I pulled real hard on the pipe and the key came right out. 3. Then I was real proud of myself cause I didn't have to cut the cable and the key was removed.
4. About a year later or so someone stole my spare. Now it's locked up there real tight.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pry it out, and use the old crank, that had the common peened end on it. Works just like the older trucks, before the day of stolen spares. Yeah, I had to do that. Good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've replied to this issue a dozen times! 2 feet of extensions, a cheap tiawan 9/16" 6 point socket, a ten pound sledge.
Drive the socket over the key. Crank to lower. Start to finish is 3 minutes- tire on the ground.

It works great every time!

Then just remove the key from the jack slot and throw the sucker in the garbage!

Sorry you wasted all that time....It's been posted here many, many times...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost spare tire key

I just did this on my 04 F350 single rear wheel and it worked perfectly - tire on the ground in minutes

I've replied to this issue a dozen times! 2 feet of extensions, a cheap tiawan 9/16" 6 point socket, a ten pound sledge.
Drive the socket over the key. Crank to lower. Start to finish is 3 minutes- tire on the ground.

It works great every time!

Then just remove the key from the jack slot and throw the sucker in the garbage!

Sorry you wasted all that time....It's been posted here many, many times...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup, it works! I had that dilemma when I bought my 04 F-350...no spare tire key. I bought some cheap extensions and used a cheapo 9/16" 6 point socket. I hammered it on and let the tire down no problem. I had to then remove the tire winch assembly (which was easy only 2 bolts) to retrieve the socket and key plug after a little prying. I was hesitant at first because I didn't want to mess anything up, but the socket wedges right over the outside of the key plug and it is tight. I probably could have left it on there and just used the extensions to let down and lift up the tire every time I needed it. Even if you have the key I think it is a good idea to do this anyway, as I have had problems with the key socket stripping out on my work truck while trying to change a tire. It was stranded for 2 days on a mountain back road until we brought another spare up to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know I am resurrecting an older thread here, but the info is still pertiant. I had this same problem of the missing pare tire key. The quick fix with the 9/16 ratchet and 2 foot extension worked like a charm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the ratchet method but at 1:00am before a road trip in my new-to-me truck I didn't have the tools.

I found a post on this or another forum and did it like this:

1 flat head screwdriver
1 vice grip
1 flashlight

Optional:
A couple pillows unless you have strong abs.

Deflate the spare.

Pull out (slight twist & pull with force) the tube that guides the jack handle tool into the spare tire mechanism.

Get under the truck and see if you can get a little play going with the deflated spare. I came in from the left side of the spare and was able to painfully get an arm and a tool up there. It *was* tough.

With my left hand I barely pushed the spare aside so I could fit my right arm with screwdriver up there. I kept the spare in place with my left hand and after around 10 minutes I finally got the flathead wedged in between the "key." Jam the screwdriver in between the key and the socket it is jammed into.

Prying on the "key" will allow you to basically pop it out. Try the vice grip if the screwdriver isn't working.

Be patient while doing this as it's very difficult to access and it's a little painful.

I bet I could repeat this in 10 minutes but it took me 60 minutes when I did it for the first time (couldn't find the right angle for access).

Good luck and don't forget to re-inflate the tire.

This "key" is total BS

01 f250 xlt, V10 crew, long

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thought it worth adding to. I have had this truck over a year and the spare tire in the bed has been driving me nuts.

A pair of channel locks along with man grip and a couple head and knuckle bangs under the truck and I had the lock out in 5 minutes.

Take the channel locks, grab a hold of the exposed metal part of the lock, grip, and then wiggle up and down while pulling out.

This lock is just pushed into the assembly real tight and almost comes right out....

No need to spend money or cut cables!!!!!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
No matter what you do, the tire winch system is junk as far as keeping your tire secure so no one can steal the spare, which is a problem in some areas. So, put a chain and a lock around the tire and frame.

·
Banned
59 Posts
I had this problem yesterday while trying to remove my bed. I went to my tried and tested tool: YouTube. Only needed three tools; 9/16" socket, engineers maul (3lbs), and a very long extension (2 ft, check harbor freight). Attach the socket to the extension. Stick it in the spare tire tube through your rear bumper, give it a whack and check to see if you can crank the tire down. If not repeat the whacking step. Easy as pie.

Now for the semi-permanant fix. Remove the tire from the saddle and set aside. Remove the two bolts holding the winch to the frame. Watch your eyes because you'll be loosening up caked on road dirt and it WILL fall in your eyes. Safety glasses will help but goggles would be ideal. Now jimmy the winch out of there with only your hands. It's a little bit of ***** but surely enough it comes out of there. Use a small hammer and a flatblade screwdriver separate the lock from the winch. Throw the lock away and reinstall the winch to the frame.

Permanant solution: Fabricate a metal bracket that will hold the spare tire inside of your bed. Sell the winch on eBay or Craigslist and never have to crawl under your truck again to change a spare. I opted for this method because I use my truck as a commercial vehicle for delivery of oilfield equipment. I may go as far as a 1500 miles from home. I don't need the hassle of crawling under the vehicle in rain or snow to simply change a tire. I fabricated a mount to my headache rack. End of story.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts