The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every body newbie here..........

I have did the search and found nothing and I have a couple of questions about the speed sensor.

1. What will happen if it is not hooked up or a rear other than sterling is installed?

2. Can it be bypassed?

Any help that any body can give me wiuld be great

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Unplug it and go for a ride to see what happens.
As I recall when mine went bad, the peedo doesnt work right and the ABS light stays on.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Truck will not know when to shift or how fast it is going. It is very necessary to the running of the truck.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
1. What will happen if ... a rear other than sterling is installed?
The replacement rear end must have a similar "tone ring" and VSS (variable speed sensor) connected to the ABS module. Most rear axles from the last 10 years or so have this. In your case, a Dana 80 rear end from any '99-up F-350 DRW pickup should work. It will have the DRW rear hubs, but you can probably barnyard engineer that to install single rear wheels.

·
Registered
288 Posts
mine went bad first and second gear sucked real sloppy and the speedo didnt move untill 30 mph.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That sensor went bad in my Ranger. The Spedo didnt work until 30 MPH and the ABS light was always on. Went to napa to get the part and they tried to sell me the speedometer sensor that goes on the transmission. After arguing for what seemed like an hour that it was the wrong sensor, i went to the dealer and got one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help I found and aftermarket external tone ring that works well. I have a friend that went through the same when changing rears it will effect the cruise, shifting and speedo

·
Registered
188 Posts
based on all the research I did (and i did a lot) it completely depends on the year and model of the automobile.

I disconnected the sensor on mine 2003 f250 4x4 5.4L gas and it was completely fine - the speedometer read ok and the only thing that happened is the abs light came on and abs did not function (i could lock up the brakes)

i had other people do the same test on their trucks 2003 6.0L 4x4 and same result. And then others did the same stuff with the same result. It seems (based on me playing with this stuff) that if the truck has ABS sensors up front it will ignore the rear (since it is not working) and run off the front sensors

I would also like to mention that i had all 3 unplugged on my truck and i never had an issue with shifting.

If your truck has a 4r100 tranny, chances are it does not rely on speed as much as the 4w70 (i think thats the model of it) tranny.

i have tons of info on this stuff if anybody wants more just let me know

Anyway i just wanted to interject here because Ive "been there, done that"

Good luck!

Kenny

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kenny
Mine is a 06 4x4 and not sure what tranny is in it. I will try it without the external tone ring. I will also be replacing the front end to the best of my knowledge I dont remember one on the front end but I could be wrong any more input?

·
Registered
188 Posts
if it is an 06 superduty then it should have sensors in each front wheel.

I will say the following I have had my rear diff sensor unplugged and it did just dandy. HOWEVER, I have a 2003 Gas engine and not all the platforms on these things are created equal.

I would try it with the rear disconnected at first. If worst comes to worst maybe you can use one of the front sensors as an input to the rear input on the abs module... its not the right way to do it but for an off road only truck - why not

kenny

1 - 11 of 11 Posts