The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 F-350 crew cab, SRW 4x4. I had the rumble strip sound happening, and cured it by locking my passenger side hub.

Now I've got it all apart, having followed the two tutorials below.

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com

Now what I'm wondering is, whether or not I need to replace the axle seal. I'm just not sure how to tell whether it needs replacing.

Also, the three thrust washers (round, hex, round) were not in the right spots when I took it all apart. There was only one round one inside the hub, the hex one and I believe the other round one were installed behind the hub, up against the thrust washer there, the one that has the grooves in it for the ESOF hub vacuum to work. I believe that washer, and one of the round ones, are now pressed into one object, unless the grooved washer is supposed to have a round raised surface on the opposite side from the grooves.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
If you're in there that far, definitely replace the axle seal.

As far as the thrust washers, someone has mucked yours up. The big plastic one goes behind the hub assembly, with the bevel on the bore facing inboard. I think the grooves are that way also, but the bevel is the important part to clear the radius on the axle shaft. Then the three washers go on after the hub assembly is bolted in place (round - hex - round). It sounds like you should get replacements for all of them. That second link on ball joints you posted is pretty complete.

Good luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
seals

for sure, replace the seals. The ball joint replacement is not a hard job but it will take you all day. To save you some time have a machine shop press out and in your ball joints, I did this part myself and going to a machine shop would have saved me a few hours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered the axle seal and took the axle out tonight and it was definitely in need of replacing, so good call.

Now, for the dust seal, the one on the inboard side of the u-joint, what's the consensus on whether it needs to be replaced? The one that's there is in two pieces, but I've read that some feel it is an unnecessary part, and one that will just come out again anyway. I thought I might replace it until I found out that it was $48 at the Ford dealership. Yes you read that correctly.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Get one from your local parts store. Ford charges way too much. I know I didn't pay $48 when I did mine - more like $15 a side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts