The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 F250 sd 7.3L. For the last couple of months i have been having issues with it sputtering between 1500 and 1700 rpm when trying to cruise. When accelerating i have no issues. I can cruise at less than 1500 with virtually no issues and higher than 1700 with virtually no issues. It's just that 200 rpm range that gives me a problem. and that puts me around 40+ miles per hour at cruising speed.
I have had the following done
1) Fuel line blown out from tank to bowl
2) Screen on pump pickup replaced (was not in good cond)
3) Regulator (or what ever it is) on side of fuel bowl replaced

All of these have lessened the problem temporarily but it still comes back. What the hell is going on? I have approximately 323k miles on the engine and approximately 50k on the rebuilt transmission.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you injectors been rebuilt or replaced? I had this same issue when I got my 99.5 had shaking from 1300-1700 rpm and after replacing it was golden....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe try draining the fuel bowl and filling it with some diesel purge or a cleaner of your choice see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you talking about something like DieselKleen to help clean the injectors?
Yes, I would maybe do something that’s for the injectors like Stanadyne Performance or hotshots. More than likely if it was the same issue I had you’ll have to replace the injectors.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I don’t recall Stanadyne Performance being formulated to run undiluted in a fuel bowl. Are you sure thats recommended?

I would instead just fuel up with a B10 or B20 diesel and run it near empty. Although it might be hard to find that percentage of BioD as the temps are dropping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don’t recall Stanadyne Performance being formulated to run undiluted in a fuel bowl. Are you sure thats recommended?

I would instead just fuel up with a B10 or B20 diesel and run it near empty. Although it might be hard to find that percentage of BioD as the temps are dropping.
I wish I could find b10/20 near me ....

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Where do you live?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's up with the BioDiesel? Is it actually better for the engine? I've actually been told by multiple people to run "off-road" diesel in my 7.3L. I haven't because I can't guarantee the filters have been changed as often and as needed like they are for the on-road diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I can’t say with certainty this is true for GA but typically on-highway vs off-highway diesel is exactly the same except off-highway has a red dye added.

Off-highway diesel does not have highway taxes added and so it is cheaper. It is designed for construction, agriculture, generators, etc.

Because it is cheaper, some diesel owners have attempted to save money by using it on-highway and the tax man does not like to be cheated. Fuel tanks are inspected when there is any suspicion or a guy is witnessed fueling with it at the gas station and the red dye provides immediate evidence to law enforcement. The fine is $1,000’s.

The red dye is very concentrated and it stains your fuel filter so even after you stop using it, there is proof that you did use it.

The reason I offered the suggestion of a B10 or B20 was for an alternative cleaning agent rather than undiluted Stanadyne in the fuel bowl. BioD has a detergent like quality that cleans quite well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can’t say with certainty this is true for GA but typically on-highway vs off-highway diesel is exactly the same except off-highway has a red dye added.

Off-highway diesel does not have highway taxes added and so it is cheaper. It is designed for construction, agriculture, generators, etc.

Because it is cheaper, some diesel owners have attempted to save money by using it on-highway and the tax man does not like to be cheated. Fuel tanks are inspected when there is any suspicion or a guy is witnessed fueling with it at the gas station and the red dye provides immediate evidence to law enforcement. The fine is $1,000’s.

The red dye is very concentrated and it stains your fuel filter so even after you stop using it, there is proof that you did use it.

The reason I offered the suggestion of a B10 or B20 was for an alternative cleaning agent rather than undiluted Stanadyne in the fuel bowl. BioD has a detergent like quality that cleans quite well.
One of the stations on the list you provided is about 30 mins away so I will make that work. So it’s safe to just start pumping into the truck ?

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Yep, what Arctic said— better not get caught in Illinois running off highway diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
One of the stations on the list you provided is about 30 mins away so I will make that work. So it’s safe to just start pumping into the truck ?
I have run B20 without any issue. In the summer I have run B10 regularly but it gels in colder temps. B5 is fine all winter long and is what you find in IL.

I don’t think you see increased benefit above B20 and even B10 is probably sufficient.

It depends on what they sell near you.

You can always dilute it with regular diesel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts