The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995/96 (title says '95, fuse box looks like '96) 350 2wd crew cab 2WD 5spd.

Replaced the main harness (chewed by squirrels) under the hood. Replaced ICM,PCM. Everything "appears" OK...
Here's the current situation:

1. Won't start without blinker switch disconnected. If started and I plug blinker switch in, engine stops. Replaced switch assembly with new, no change.
2. #17 fuse inside cab (not maxi fuse) blows when I turn key to "start."
3. Gauges do not work.
4. Throttle does not work. Replaced accelerator pedal assembly with new, no change.

Before #17 blows when I start, I do get a wait to start light. It fires up and motor runs. And that's as far as I've gotten.
Question is two-fold:
ANY IDEAS WHERE TO START?
WHERE CAN I FIND A THOROUGH WIRING SCHEMATIC/DIAGRAM FOR THE ENTIRE VEHICLE?

Thank you!

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Welcome! Was the replacement harness from the same year/model? There are some differences at the big firewall feedhtough connector to the underdash harness between the years that can cause issues. For wiring diagrams, you would want a copy of the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) for the year of your truck. You used to be able to get new paper copies from Helm Inc., but I haven't looked in a long time. They used to be about $22-$30. You can find them used on ebay. You can also find electronic (DVD) versions out there as well. My DVD c0vers many covers Ford vehicles from 1996-2003. I like the paper versions for quickly flipping around diagrams and such. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patrick, thanks for your reply and the welcome!
It was the same year, technically... BUT my truck appears to share components from both '95 and '96, so I am not sure if I will ever know the truth there. I believe that '95s and 96's had different fuse box layouts. Does anyone know if this is correct?

In addition to it possibly not being the right year, I BELIEVE the source truck for the harness was an automatic and mine is a 5spd. Could this be an issue (I think I know the answer there)?

I'll check on EBAY for the Helm Inc. manual. I did look up their books on their website this morning after reading your post on someone else's discussion, and they no longer appear to be selling them.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Exactly which components on your '95 truck look like '96 to you? What exactly about the fuse blocks do you think are specific to '96? Read this caption, and find EVERY tag & mark on the truck:

(click this text)

There are a bunch, as this shows from one of my trucks:

(click this text)

Yes, there are subtle differences in the fuse blocks each year, and NOT-so-subtle differences in the wiring (even though the connectors are the same shape, and will fit together). This is my truck's fuse layout:

(click this text)

You can download the manuals through the links in this caption:

(click this text)

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
More information! It will be a total PITA, but it's probably what you will have to do. I don’t have a copy of the 95 EVTM (my old CD-ROM version doesn’t work on 64-bit systems and the DVD version only goes back to 96. I can cross-reference my 94 paper EVTM against the 96 version. 95 might be closer to the 94’s configuration. Here’s some possibilities to check at C202 (the big 76-pin firewall feedthrough connector). See the attached for Pins in red showing possible differences. If there is no information in the block, I didn't have time to search the entire EVTM for the circuit! Good Luck & Cheers!.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve/Patrick: A BIG THANKS to both of you. You guys are a tremendous help. I'm going to do my due diligence this weekend and see what I can come up with. I will check back in soon! Luckily, I have my 8 year old son to help, so it should be a walk in the park. 😉

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just pulled the old harness out of the trash heap in the bed of the truck to compare C202 wire locations. There is a stamp on the old harness C202 that says 05-30-95-1 (after some other stuff). The VIN number also confirms a year of '95 on my truck. In addition, I found out today that the replacement harness we put in was definitely from a 1996 donor truck... and yes, there are a lot of differences in the C202 plugs because I checked the original (sitting on my kitchen table) against the PDF Patrick sent of the '96. You can imagine what my next task is.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
There is a stamp on the old harness C202 that says 05-30-95-1...
That's the BUILD date - not the MODEL YEAR.
The VIN number also confirms a year of '95 on my truck.
Build, or model year? Many '96 trucks were built in '95. The model year generally changes in August, but a truck built in Oct.'95 would be built just like one built in Apr.'96 because they'd both be '96 models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great points. Here's the door sticker:

What I am going to do is pull the C202 that we put in the truck and check the build date on it. If it's '96, it should be safe to assume that it's the wrong one, correct? Of course, I can confirm this by checking wire/pin locations VS. the squirrel ravaged harness we pulled out of the truck (build date of '95).

QUESTION: If I do need a new harness, how do I go about properly getting one from a salvage? What I mean is, if I find another '95 truck it may not have the exact same harness in it, correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a '95 truck close to my house that was being parted out. The motor was already out and front body work completely removed, so the harness was basically just sitting there. I brought the old harness with me (original from truck) to confirm that the wires were in the same spots on the C202. They were. 3 hours later the new harness was in and the truck fired up. I took it for a test drive and it seems like everything is in working order. Than you all for the help in identifying the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The VC label shows the build date is 7/95, and the VIN indicates (S) 1995MY. The serial number indicates only 177,807 F-series were made at the Louisville plant (E) by that point in the model year (nearly the end).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts