The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original problem; With truck at normal op. temp., parked at friends & truck was off for approx 20-30 min. Started truck, "fired" up & stalled 1-2 seconds later, (never happened before), I attempted to restart 4-6 times & same, stall after 1-2 seconds. (I could hear fuel pump come on & shut off as normal) Was acting just as if was running out of fuel, (truck has full tank). As test, I left key on for about about 2-3 min, got lucky & truck started & stayed running. Drove home 5 miles & everything was normal.
Following day, after driving approx. 5 miles, motor began stumbling yet never fully stalled. I checked records & seen I forgot to do fuel filters @ 15,000 & had gone over by 6,000 miles. I got new filters, installed & primed as required. Truck started with no prob., allowed truck to idle up to normal op. temp., (about 10-15 min.), drove truck about 1 mi. & parked.
1 hour later, jumped in truck to go out & NO START. Try to re-prime 15-20 times, nothing. Batteries were getting workout so decided to take break & put on charger. 3 hrs. later & same, NO START.
Ideas please? TY
Note; Truck has 56,000 mi., No engine mods w/ exception of Sinister Coolant Filter

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add; I checked the engine mounted fuel filter & housing is full of fuel

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would start by checking fuel & HP oil pressures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fuel I drained look ****, (no water). I'm not sure how to check HP oil pressure.
I surrender, calling flatbed tomorrow & take to Ford service . Just hoping not big $$$$ issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The high pressure fuel regulator was to blame in my 6.0L. Replaced it, and everything ran to be expected. It was also leaking a minute amount of diesel that I could smell through the vents, but mistook it for an oil leak that didn't exist.

However, yes there is a however, about two months later it began showing the same (or similar) symptoms, except this time it left me stranded, twice. I blamed it on vaporlock when it would restart a half hour later and was able to limp it home. After a tow to the service center, it was found that the TPS (or one of them) needed replacement.

Hope this gives you an idea of what to possibly expect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was crankshaft position sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts