The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a intermittent stalling, usually at hwy speeds jump on the gas and truck falls on its @@@@ back off on throttle and get back on it and it's back. Very dangerous when passing with trailer. A search leads me to IPR & ICP as a possible starting point. Is there a easy way to test these components ? I have recently replac d the cps think that could be it but no change, not sure if a replaced a bad one with a bad one. No other issues, truck starts and runs smooth other then the driving blackouts.

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
Does the engine completely die or just drop to idle? If it's the latter, it could be a problem with the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. It could have a dead spot in it or could just be dirty. You can try to clean the potentiometer with some with electrical contact cleaner or you may have to replace the assembly or the pot. If you have access to a scan tool that can monitor AP position, you should check to see if the reading changes evenly as you depress the pedal. If it's jumpy, that would indicate a problem with it.

Good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep drops to idile, what part do you clean?

·
Super Moderator
26,497 Posts
Yep drops to idile, what part do you clean?
Down on the accelerator pedal where the harness plugs in is a potentiometer. That's what you would try to spray with some cleaner. The whole assembly comes off with 3 bolts, so you can do it on the bench instead of under the dash. You can also check the action with an ohmmeter if you don't have a scan tool.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, more I search that sounds like the best place to start. Will research source of new assemble, thanks. Still leaving it open that IPR may be suspect. thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it out, hard to see anything, sprayed it with elec contact cleaner and put back in. Contacted automation aka tousley and bought replacement. Decided it was better to fix than think I fixed it. I am assuming this was the bad part. Thanks for symptom feedback

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Autonation supplied the $180 solution with new pedal and bracket. Thanks for all the help. Enjoy the king run

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EC3Z-9F836-A (pedal $143.90)
5C3Z-9C803-AA (bracket $29.32)
Autonation Ford white bear lake

This is a new part 2 piece to replace the old 1 piece unit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts