The Diesel Stop banner

Stand pipe ???

24K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dillon134 
#1 ·
Took out my old ones it's a 2006 6.0 .Ok there been updated before . My ? The old one on driver side is same size as dummy plus there's a tube coming into the rocker box the stand pipe was in. The new ones are a bit longer .does that tube come out also can't get pass side out without lowering the driver side removing motor mount. Any help tks

#2 ·
The stand pipes are a two piece design as I am sure you have figured out - this means you can separate them and sometimes they come apart during disassembly. I am thinking that this tube you are asking about is the lower half of the stand pipe? If this is the case, you need to have the high pressure oil rail off and out of the way. There is a service tool to grab them and remove the long half if they stick in the branch tube but if you are replacing them anyway you can use a pair of pliers - I recommend long nose Vise Grips which perform the job credibly.

The passenger side is a bit of a problem for people and unfortunately many force the parts out and in which can fracture the upper part and they eventually break. When that happens it causes some really strange drivability problems. To remove the right side stand pipe you have two options: One, pull the stand pipe up and try to separate the two halves and again, vise grip pliers are perfect for holding onto the lower half while you work a thin screwdriver between the halves to separate them. Two is to remove the high pressure oil rail and remove both parts together.

You can easily install the left side stand pipe in one piece. The right side I recommend separating the stand pipe halves, placing the lower into the engine then install the high pressure oil rail if you removed it then the upper. Lubricate the o-rings with clean engine oil before assembly. If the rails were taken off, reinstall them with the bolts finger tight, then install the stand pipes and torque them first, then torque down the high pressure rails.

If you plan to replace these parts, make sure to use ALL new FORD parts meaning both stand pipes and both block off tubes with the white nylon backer rings. They come together in a bag, Ford Part Number 6E7Z-9A332-B Avoid using aftermarket parts here.

HTH

#3 ·
Ford Doc, is there a way to pluck out the bottom of the rear stand pipe (passenger or drivers side) without having to take off the oil rail? I think I've understood you to say that the long nose pliers are for holding on to the bottom part only to allow you to separate the two halves. I've already done this upgrade on my Excursion but I've got a long crank when hot (sometimes no start) on my 2007 F250 and I'm hoping the problem is just a bad standpipe seal. I know it's likely the STC Fitting on the HPOP but figured I should do the standpipes first just to make sure.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.