The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 7.3 a few months back from an auction. Its a 2001 f250 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto. it has 192k on the ticker. Ive had the truck a few months now and I am kinda familiar with all the leaks ext that will need to be fixed. I was provided with full service records and noted about 20k ago (1.5 years ago) a new starter was installed. I have noticed ever since I have started using the truck about every 10-15 starts ill get a loud wirring sound coming from the starter and it wont turn the motor over. Its a little louder than if the starter gear wasn't being thrown out but not nearly as loud and nasty as if it was barely enguaging and ripping off flywheel teeth. any insight or anyone else experience this??? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check you voltage and your starter solenoid. How old are your batteries? Otherwise it sounds like a bad spot in the windings of the starter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so I looked through my inspection plate last night, didn't see any missing teeth but noticed a little groove starting to wear on the sides towards the bottom of each tooth on my flywheel. Obviously my starter isn't shimmed right or something. Would I be able to get by a while with a new gear reduction starter or do I need to go ahead and plan on a flywheel replacement? 90% of the time it starts fine right now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts