The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Ford 7.3L 2WD 200K miles

My starter was making a grinding noise and the bolts had backed out. Wound up replacing the starter all together. Seemed to work for a little while and then went back to making the grinding noise again. I took the starter back and got a warranty replacement and took it to the shop last week to have it installed with lock-tite. It worked perfectly for a few days and then went back to grinding again yesterday afternoon. Any idea why it is still doing it? I bought a new Duralast Gold 5154 starter from Autozone. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is there a starter shim between the starter and mount? Or take the starter off and check to make sure the flywheel (or flexplate) is ground down

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah it happens my old f150 was a mess. Im not sure if 7.3s have shims but my 87 f150 was missing the shim and it ate up the flywheel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IDK about the shim. I didn't think there was one, but maybe someone else will chime in who knows..

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine did that. Replaced it 3 times on warranty after the first. Eventually took it back and bucked up for the denso . What an improvement. But its not the grinding problem. That was my ignition. The white block on the column gets loose inside and doesn't contact properly. I eventually replaced it when it started not turning over until I cycled the key about 5 times until it would connect. Its starts out grinding then no connection at all. Thought it might be the starter solenoid, but they don't have one. Lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolute.. I am not following you. Are you saying that the problem is not my starter or flywheel but something with my ignition?? If so, can you explain a little further. I thought I read somewhere on here where they was a ground wire (or some kind of wire) that was not making good contact with the starter (or something like that)..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone else have any idea what I can look for?? I thought there would be a few more responses?? I appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
9,680 Posts
If your starter is making a grinding noise it is going to either be the starter or the flywheel.

You may need to pull the inspection cover off of the bell housing and check the teeth while turning the engine over by hand and inspect them. The other problem could be that the starter is not aligning itself with the flywheel when it engages.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i would be checking the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel. If thats not it i would try a different brand starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts