The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently changed my starter, I know the starter ring has a machined chamfer as does the starter engagement. So there is some dry gear on gear meshing wear. Not like I look in the starter port often, like never, so I have no trend I formation. My 02 truck has 250K and who knows how many starts. Is this ring condition, photo, normal for 250K? Still starts good, typically in a 1-2 second count with no noise.
IMG_20210219_105500.jpg

·
Super Moderator
26,160 Posts
Looks OK to me. You have at least half of the tooth width left. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping to make my transmission last as long as I can but realize it won't last forever. If I had to pull it prematurely to change a starter ring out I probably would go back with a BTS transmission. So the longevity cheapskate within is battling with the "I want it" evil tinkering twin named MOD.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Are there any shims between the starter and mating surface?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any shims between the starter and mating surface?
There were no shims under the original OEM starter I took out, I didn't put any in with the new starter. I did do a basic measurement check to compare the new larger Denso to old smaller Ford OEM Visitron. Same male starter to female transmission adapter mounting centering alignment fit machining, same relative starting position for the starter gear on its axis. Both two bolts work little bolt slop. It starts up great. Has a bit of a pop when I first engage the key, I figure that's the new starters bendix and extending into to ring gear with a bit more energy than the much smaller OEM starter did. After that split second pop it spins the motor up and it fires off on a 1-2 count temp in the low 30's F.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts