The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's been quite awhile since I've posted. Life has been busy and I haven't driven the old beast in awhile...
A neighbor needed a truck and was oogling my old beast, so in a moment of weakness I decided to sell it to him.
It's a 94 F350 CC 4x4 IDI with factory turbo and E40d tranny riding on 35" BFG MTs with 244k miles.
I put 2 new batteries in it and it fired right up after sitting for a couple of years. He put a new fuel filter on, fired it up to go down the road, the fuel filter light came on and it died. I asked if he filled the filter before spinning it on, he said yes, but I'm thinking that he didn't and there is probably air in the injector lines. So he and his buddy were trying to get it started and must have cranked on the starter forever as they drained the 2 new batteries, melted some of the battery cables and now the starter only makes a strange so I think it's toast.
I towed it back to my place, took the keys away and I'm not going to sell it to him. The wife made him sign something saying that he was responsible for the damage, we'll see if he pays on it...
Anyway, I need to get it up and running again. There seems to be a wide range in prices on starters($333 - $100ish). Are any of the re-manufactured ones worth having? I think I'll just replace all of the battery cables. Could the batteries have been damaged by cranking on the starter that much? How could I tell? I disconeccted them and they measure at 12.4VDC and 12.3VDC.
So my plan is to replace the cables first and try it. If it doesn't turn over, then take the batteries back to the store and have them load tested? Then if it won't turn over, then replace the starter. Then once it's turning over, crack the injector lines to bleed any air off.

Is there anything else I should look at along the way?

Thanks much.
Glenn.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi guys, it's been quite awhile since I've posted. Life has been busy and I haven't driven the old beast in awhile...

A neighbor needed a truck and was oogling my old beast, so in a moment of weakness I decided to sell it to him.

It's a 94 F350 CC 4x4 IDI with factory turbo and E40d tranny riding on 35" BFG MTs with 244k miles.

I put 2 new batteries in it and it fired right up after sitting for a couple of years. He put a new fuel filter on, fired it up to go down the road, the fuel filter light came on and it died. I asked if he filled the filter before spinning it on, he said yes, but I'm thinking that he didn't and there is probably air in the injector lines. So he and his buddy were trying to get it started and must have cranked on the starter forever as they drained the 2 new batteries, melted some of the battery cables and now the starter only makes a strange so I think it's toast.

I towed it back to my place, took the keys away and I'm not going to sell it to him. The wife made him sign something saying that he was responsible for the damage, we'll see if he pays on it...

Anyway, I need to get it up and running again. There seems to be a wide range in prices on starters($333 - $100ish). Are any of the re-manufactured ones worth having? I think I'll just replace all of the battery cables. Could the batteries have been damaged by cranking on the starter that much? How could I tell? I disconeccted them and they measure at 12.4VDC and 12.3VDC.

So my plan is to replace the cables first and try it. If it doesn't turn over, then take the batteries back to the store and have them load tested? Then if it won't turn over, then replace the starter. Then once it's turning over, crack the injector lines to bleed any air off.

Is there anything else I should look at along the way?

Thanks much.

Glenn.

I would think the batteries would be fine so long as you recharge them. If the cables melted I'd fix that first. Then maybe the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
New batteries should be fine even run down from cranking do overnight trickle charge. Cables could have lots of resistance due to age. Replace them and see how it starts. Starters do go bad, it has been one of my most common replaced parts. NAPA usually has lifetime stuff a good buy if you plan to hold on to the truck.
DENNY

·
Registered
53 Posts
New batteries should be fine even run down from cranking do overnight trickle charge. Cables could have lots of resistance due to age. Replace them and see how it starts. Starters do go bad, it has been one of my most common replaced parts. NAPA usually has lifetime stuff a good buy if you plan to hold on to the truck.

DENNY

They honor that warranty too! I'm on my third napa starter in two weeks. Upgraded to the "all new one" so far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I usually reccomend going to somewhere to get it rebuilt, but it sounds like it is fried. I would get a new one, because you don't know what you're getting with a rebuilt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a new starter in and replaced the melted cables and she fired right up. I went for a tesy drive and when I stepped on thegas it stumbled and died and the fuel filter light came on.
Could I have a defective filter that isn't letting fuel through?

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
If it's been sitting that long, I'd start with the easiest possibility first. Cut the filter open and inspect the pleats. You could have a fuel tank contaminated with algae which will grow in diesel fuel under the right conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts