The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I have owned my 7.3, it is finicky when cold, takes awhile to run on all 8, not sure what it is. New glow plugs a few years back, replaced intake heater solenoid....I keep it plugged in overnight if I need it the next day. It runs rough, as I drive it, when it warms up, I have to almost floor it to clean it out to run on 8????? Once it hits on all 8 it’s a beast. Help

I’m selling it for a new truck so just need info on what it might be, and during the summer, it seems fine...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Old worn injectors do not like the cold.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine has 158600 miles, but is 16 years old...I’m not replacing them... lol

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
What are your winter temps?

If plugging in the blockheater helps, then is this mostly a winter issue?

·
Super Moderator
25,078 Posts
The intake air heater rarely operates, so replacing the relay for it won't help much. The glow plugs have to be inactive, and you can't have come off idle, ambient temp has to be be low (don't remember the exact temp), and it has to have been idling for quite a while for the relay to activate.

You should check your glow plug system (see the hard/no-start link in my signature), and as mentioned, check the injectors. If the armature clearance is too small, cold oil makes the injectors balky. There's a shim kit available as a patch for that issue.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Check the glow plug Solenoid operation when cold. I had one that would not work when it got below -10 degrees.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I am just getting on board here because I may have a same, or similar issue. Though 45 degrees is about as cold as it gets around here at night.
My 2003 7.3L is very rough starting first thing in the a.m.
Last summer I had a couple of glow plug codes so I had the glow plugs and the harness replaced. But now it is rough to start. It always starts . Sometimes I wonder if it is going to.
Batteries are new, as of a couple months ago. As is the alternator, as of couple of months ago.
Currently I have no codes indicated by the MIL light. I have not checked, as yet, to see if there are any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts