The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cannot believe this! 3 F-ing times now!

2008 F-350 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L - Diesel V8 - Long Bed - 4x4 - Crew Cab
purchased in January 2009

Incident #1 (2011):
The 2008-2009 F250s & F350s had a tire recall from Continental in 2011. We replaced our tires 3 months before the letter came out because there was a huge bubble in one of the rear tires where the steel belt was separating/breaking. Luckily, we were reimbursed by Continental for the tires that we replaced.

Incident #2 (2014):
Then in August 2014, it happened again with a rear tire! I was driving the truck this time and the whole effing tread ruptured and ripped out our break line and damaged the rear quarter panel! Filed a claim with our insurance and had it repaired. Our premium soared there after. Ugh. I attached pictures of this incident.

Incident #3 (2015):
We had our alignment fixed about 2 weeks ago since it would veer towards the left a lot. They rotated the tires at that time. On Sunday we notice that the truck is swaying/rocking, kind of like a boat does in choppy water. That's no good. We take it back to the place that did the alignment this Monday and explained that this wasn't happening until after they worked on it. They check it out and said its the rear tires. The steel belts are separating and the tires need to be replaced. Obviously we do not want a repeat of the disaster from 2014 with the break lines and such.

The point of all of this?
Is this common? Why does this keep happening? I'm looking for any experience or suggestions. We are just sooo frustrated with the tire situation with this truck.

edit to add:
This truck sits in our driveway Mon-Fri. It is not used to commute in any way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
#1: A blister isn't caused by broken belts; it's caused by layer separation, usually due to overloading/overpressure/underpressure.

#2: It's hard to tell because your pics don't show the remaining tread, but what little I see makes me think the tire was worn nearly out, and overloaded again.

#3: Sounds more like the alignment shop is trying to cover its @$$ for not catching something on the first go-round. Broken TREAD belts (like the first 2 incidents) don't cause swaying; broken SIDEWALL belts can cause it, and sidewall belts ALSO break from running underpressure.

You said the first tires were Contis, and I can see the 2nd is a BFG. You didn't say what the 3rd set is, but the only things common to all 3 incidents are the truck and YOU. Obviously, millions of trucks drive around without tires separating, so that only leaves...

What do you haul in this thing on the weekends, and do you keep up with the tire pressures, or are the TPMS sensors all thrown inside a sealed pressurized pipe bolted to the frame? The valve stem in the 1st pic looks like plain non-TPMS rubber. Click this, study it, and follow the chain of links in its caption:

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Incident 1 should not be considered when looking for a pattern because it was identified as being a manufacture issue.

In the other incidents could you note the type of tires, number of miles on them, type of typical load and where you live?

Out of curiousity, did you mention to the Alignment shop in #3 your previous tire history? Can you take the current tires to a different tire shop and see if they also identify a belt separation issue (but do not mention your 1 & 2 history).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts