The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My steering wheel has began to make a very, very slight - high pitch - squeak when turning. It's not constant - just in one small place as the wheel turns (either direction). There is no "drag" - the steering works fine. Just wondering if it's the bearings getting dry - or is there something else that might cause this little noise. And can one get in there - without a lot of difficulty to lubricate it, or make an adjustment.

Secondly - my shifter is beginning to drag when moving it from any position - to any position. I don't think its at the linkage at the transmission (maybe it's the TRS - will have to check?) but it feels like its in the column - is there a remedy for this also - without major difficulty? (haven't checked yet - but do these trucks have the torx bolts that attach the shifter cable bracket - to the shifter rod - and to the cable? - maybe they have become loose. - will also check that...)

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just wondering if it's the bearings getting dry - or is there something else that might cause this little noise.
Yes, it's likely something else. Usually the clock spring, if your truck has one.

(phone app link)

This column doesn't have a clock spring:

(phone app link)
And can one get in there - without a lot of difficulty to lubricate it, or make an adjustment.
The bearings are sealed, and VERY difficult to get at. If there's ever a problem that deep in the column (which is rare), it's much easier to swap it out for a newer column (which has the benefit of a nicer wheel with more features, and better parts-availability).

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
is there a remedy for this also - without major difficulty?
Usually. Read this caption & follow the links in it:

(phone app link)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve83 - I'll look into those links about my squeak.

BTW -
These trucks do have the notorious to come loose torx head bolts at the bottom of the steering column - but mine are tight.

However, I figured out that my shifter drag is caused from gunk on the TRS - I sprayed with WD40 and scraped some with a putty knife - then scrubbed lightly with an old toothbrush and it moves much easier. I'll drive it several days to put some action on the shifter (without sitting in the driveway and putting more "action" to it than necessary) and see if it gets even smoother - and I'll spray it occasionally too. And when the weather breaks here - I'll put on a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Steve83,

Always impressed by your detailed posts with the imbedded links.

Nice work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts