The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an upgrade for the steering gear box on these model years? I have a 2001 Excursion and had the steering gear box rebuilt at maybe !40K miles. Now that I'm at 240K miles I either need to have this one rebuilt again or buy a new one. I'm leaning towards buying a new one but wondered if anyone has found a steering gear box that is beefier than factory that can take more abuse. It's a 2x4 and discussed my options with my parts manager at my local dealer.

It appears the Ford Excursion, up until 2004, has the same steering gear box as the F-250 through F-550 for 2x4. The 4x4 part number is different. Not sure why really but it doesn't appear to be any beefier. If one would need to be beefier I would have thought the F-550 would have had it.

So the million dollar question...

Has anyone found a beefier/longer lasting steering gear box for these model year Excursions/F-250...F-550? Are any of the steering gear boxes for the newer trucks, say 2005-2010, any stronger/longer lasting and if they are are they able to be retrofitted to the older model years?

I believe my steering gear box wear is due to my amount of towing. I would have to estimate that 93% of my driving is towing.

Lastly, I know adjustments can be made, and I will attempt this, but in doing so should I be concerned that this is a wear item and should actually be replaced at some point? Does this extra play that has increased since the rebuild mean simply that it needs to be adjusted or is worn and needs to be replaced?

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the Redhead steering gear boxes. I have used a couple of them on various trucks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's who rebuilt mine originally. He said he would be willing to rebuild it again. But that is near the same cost of a new one. And I don't really know if I'd be better off with that or a new one because i don't know if these are ultimately a wear item.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's surprising it went bad, I have installed 3 on my personal trucks and 2 on family members vehicles and no issues. Was he willing to discount the rebuild at all?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He didn't offer that up. Just quoted me regular price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts