The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an upgrade for the steering gear box on these model years? I have a 2001 Excursion and had the steering gear box rebuilt at maybe !40K miles. Now that I'm at 240K miles I either need to have this one rebuilt or buy a new one. I'm leaning towards buying a new one but wondered if anyone has found a steering gear box that is beefier than factory that can take more abuse. It's a 2x4 and discussed my options with my parts manager at my local dealer.

It appears the Ford Excursion, up until 2004, has the same steering gear box as the F-250 through F-550 for 2x4. The 4x4 part number is different. Not sure why really but it doesn't appear to be any beefier. If one would need to be beefier I would have thought the F-550 would have had it.

So the million dollar question...

Has anyone found a beefier/longer lasting steering gear box for these model year Excursions/F-250...F-550? Are any of the steering gear boxes for the newer trucks, say 2005-2010, any stronger/longer lasting and if they are are they able to be retrofitted to the older model years?

I believe my steering gear box wear is due to my amount of towing. I would have to estimate that 93% of my driving is towing.

Moderator- My apologies as i did not mean to post this in the 6.0L 'upgrades and aftermarket' Would you please tow this to the 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've started a new thread in the proper location. Please delete.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts