The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After turning a corner, the steering does not return all the way to ‘center’. It will pull toward whatever way I turned. With gentle pressure on the steering wheel, it will then cross over and begin pulling in the opposite direction. After a mile or so, or if I can stop and turn the wheel both directions a couple of times, it goes away and won’t come back for 5 days or so. Steering box and stailablizer have been replaced. All other front end components check good. Sorry for the long post but My mechanic and I are out of ideas.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Alingment check? Caster is what makes the wheels go back to center.
DENNY

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has been aligned. Sorry forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not sure on what box you put in but sounds like steering box is binding up or weak power steering pump. How are the ball joints and front you joints on the front half shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Also check for a seized universal joint which can intermittently cause very strange and dangerous steering behavior. The way to do that is to manually lock the hubs and jack the front end of the truck off the ground then turn the steering to either direction and rotate both front wheels one at a time. If you cannot turn the wheel or it binds you have a bad universal joint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steering acted the same with old box and new one. Expensive lesson. Will check universal joints next. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
check your toe in if it is an always thing
if it goes away it is your ujoints, if you need run it for a while untill you can fix it lock in the hubs for a few miles it will loosen things up and it will steer better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts