The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I have noticed that at times, usually when I just turn a corner, that my truck will noticeably pull to one side, when correcting it feels like it's kind of "high centered", and when it goes past center it seems to want to pull the other way. What is strange is that it does this from time to time, then seems ok the rest of the time. I just got back from a 160km round trip and it was fine on the highway. Even driving around town it only seems to do it once in awhile.

Then tonight I was driving through town and turned left onto a street and it wanted to pull to the left hard, and again when I corrected it started to pull to the right hard, then the left etc. and took a few hundred yards before it was fine, and for the rest of the 8km drive it drove perfectly normal.

Tie rod ends all seem ok, ball joints were replaced some time back but should be ok. Could this be caused by bad ball joints in the first place? If its the steering box, why is it intermittant?

I have a long drive first thing tomorrow and am wondering if this is something that could get a lot worse in a hurry.

ideas/suggestions on what it might be?

thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I though TREs or ball joints. maybe wheel bearings?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Start with a thorough inspection of everything. Out of adjustment toe-in, worn ball joints, loose steering box, unit bearings are all prime suspects.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I actually had almost the same problem. It ended up being my front right caliper sticking, and pulling really hard, and because it was basically locking up, the left side was over working itself, and when the right wouldn't engage because it was worn so bad, it would then pull to the left. So, just check the brakes too when your lookin around under there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I actually had almost the same problem. It ended up being my front right caliper sticking, and pulling really hard, and because it was basically locking up, the left side was over working itself, and when the right wouldn't engage because it was worn so bad, it would then pull to the left. So, just check the brakes too when your lookin around under there.

that was my thought. Maybe the slide pins on the calipers??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you ever root cause the issue? I am experiencing the same behavior. It is so bad that I am considering not driving the vehicle. The shop which replaced the brakes and hub/bearing assembly cannot seem to find anything wrong (after 3 long visits).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just recently I have noticed that at times, usually when I just turn a corner, that my truck will noticeably pull to one side, when correcting it feels like it's kind of "high centered", and when it goes past center it seems to want to pull the other way. What is strange is that it does this from time to time, then seems ok the rest of the time. I just got back from a 160km round trip and it was fine on the highway. Even driving around town it only seems to do it once in awhile.

Then tonight I was driving through town and turned left onto a street and it wanted to pull to the left hard, and again when I corrected it started to pull to the right hard, then the left etc. and took a few hundred yards before it was fine, and for the rest of the 8km drive it drove perfectly normal.

Tie rod ends all seem ok, ball joints were replaced some time back but should be ok. Could this be caused by bad ball joints in the first place? If its the steering box, why is it intermittant?

I have a long drive first thing tomorrow and am wondering if this is something that could get a lot worse in a hurry.

ideas/suggestions on what it might be?

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hade the same problem, exactly. Ford_doc told me to have my mechanic check the u-joints on the front axle. Problem solved! I feel bad I never thanked him, but he was dead on. Later on I found you tube videos on the subject. Hope it helps.

Reactions: NotLost

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is why I love this forum. I have stumped multiple mechanics with this. Was it crazy expensive to have repaired? I am dreading the worst since I just dumped a few thousand into the beast last month.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is why I love this forum. I have stumped multiple mechanics with this. Was it crazy expensive to have repaired? I am dreading the worst since I just dumped a few thousand into the beast last month.
Was not to expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks. I think they may have given me a little break because we also tried tierod, steering damper, etc. first. The you tube guy is called In the shop. Check front axel u joints. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I paid close to US$500 but the results are amazing! The truck steers so smoothly now. Very well worth it if your truck has more than 250K miles on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts