The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm new to the newer superduty world so please bear with me here I am experiencing some pretty crazy steering wander at low speeds like the truck wants to kill me. It will dart right or left at will but only at slow speeds like below 30mph. I checked all rod ends which are tight, could this be the dreaded wheel bearing I've been reading about? Can the bearings be tightened like regular wheel bearings? If so do you just pull the locking hub off and tighten the spindle nut???
Like I said I'm new to this new truck stuff.

sorry 2001 F-350 XLT - Powerstroke - Regular cab - 4x4 theres a new horse in the barn

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Might be the steering box. Mine was doing the same thing. Takes a 5/8" wrench and an allen wrench. Loosen the lock nut and tighten the set screw in 1/4 turn increments. Then tighten the lock nut. BE VERY CAREFUL!! Tighten it too much and you will trash the box.

Greg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agreed..You can have the steelership attempt to tighten up the box...Also, rotate the tires. Sometimes a broken belt in the tire makes it drive crazy.

Another issue is the coupling on the steering shaft (between the wheel and the box). These wobble out and get loose.

If yours is only at low speed...it's a puzzle.

I had to replace my steering box because it was worn.

Do a search for "steering" and I think you will find several of us have delt with similar problems.

Good luck!

~Demon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys have checked the coupling its tight dont know if it would be the box with 50000 miles or not guess I'll take it to the stealer an see what they say since I now have a headlight problem too. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts