The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this question for a relative so I'm going to do my best at explaining the issue. He told me that the streering wheel has up and down play, like there is a bearing somewhere below it or in the steering column somewhere that has went bad. He said you can still drive it just fine but it's more of an annoyance than a real problem at this time. He said if you pull up on the steering wheel it's just fine, hence the reason he thinks it's some sort of bearing/spacer or something that has gone bad or something of the sort. Is there a bearing or some type of spacer under the steering wheel, in the column somewhere that be causing a problem like this or is it something else all together? If so, can this be fixed with the column in the truck or will it have to be removed? He wants me to remove the steering wheel and check it out but I'm asking for advice from people who know these trucks a little more than myself. Thanks for your time and answers in advance.:thumbsup:

BTW, it's a 1996 F-350 Powerstroke without an airbag(not sure if they were all like this or what but I'll throw that out there)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check this out...

Check out this other post:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f28/steering-column-rebuld-218787/

I replied with instructions on how to rebuild the column. It's a pretty common thing with these trucks. Dirt gets in and wrecks the bearing. Junk yard columns are hard to come by. The dealer should be able to get your relative an upper bearing rebuild kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Very nice, so that sounds exactly like what I'm describing in your opinion? Guess I should of searched around a little before I posted, reason I went ahead and posted is he was wanting to mess around with it today and I wanted to have some info to give him.

Thanks, I'll tell him about the part numbers and get it ordered and see if we can fix it. Thanks again for all the help. BTW, there is three part numbers listed in that thread. Which do I need to order? Or do I need to tear it all down and see what the damage is before I pick which part number?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hopefully...

With luck it's just the upper bearing and you'll only need that repair kit. I'm pretty sure the upper bearing can be serviced without removing the column. But don't hold me to that, it's been a while since I've done one. I would try that first. Give a call to the local dealer to make sure they have the parts in stock before you start tearing stuff apart. They should know exactly what you need as they are aware this is a problem on these trucks. Disassembly of the entire column can be a daunting task.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. He has a secondary truck that he drives 95% of the time, he just uses the F-350 to pull his trailer and things of that nature. So If anything it won't hurt being down for a day or two, I'll take my time and take pics if I have to. I'll relay the info to him about the common problem and the part number, he told me he had it done like 3 years ago at the Ford dealer and now it's doing it again. Is there anything you can do while you're in there to help prevent it from happening again? Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I did mine a couple years ago. You will need to remove the column to replace the bearings, even the upper one. It takes quite a bit of disassembly. Keep note closely how everything goes together as you have to remove the ignition key cylinder ect. It's got gears that need to be aligned correctly or the switch will not be timed correctly with the key. Probably just the upper bearing, but bearings are not all that expensive. Just replace them all (3).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts