The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an XL 350 super duty only have controls on drivers side of wheel.Dealer has replaced switch 3 times but it will not go through all funtions. It does some stuff but is not correct, keep saying its fixed!. Almost out of ext warrantey need them to fix properly any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
It should go without saying that replacing the same part over and over and getting the same result is not fixing the problem. There is a lot more involved with that functionality than just the right side switch assembly and there are system codes that will point to a diagnostic path... if they are set.

Possible Causes include:
  • Steering wheel switch
  • Wiring, terminals, or connectors
  • Clockspring
  • SCCM (Steering Column Control Module)
  • APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module)
If there are no diagnostic trouble codes set my experience leads me to suspect an issue with the clockspring and or the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) so if I had to try replacing parts I might go with that and I think the cocksprings come with the SCCM already attached. The audio systems in these trucks are quite complex depending on the level system we are talking about, but they all involve multiple modules and networking which can make for some involved diagnostics, especially with the absence of circuit related codes. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the technician working on your truck, his level of knowledge, ability and his attitude or willingness to diagnose it properly. One exception is if the vehicle is not presenting the fault when in the service bay and there are no codes to point us in the right direction. If that is the case here then it may take replacing several parts until a successful repair is made. And unfortunately I do not see any relevant Bulletins or service messages for your concern. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts