The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear axle is getting loose, you can shake the drive shaft around. The U joint is good, I hope its the pinion nut that needs some tightening , but I may be in the market for a rebuild. Where can i find some instructions on the torque specs for the pinion nut, and if that dosent fix it, can i get just the pinion bearing?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Pinion nut torque spec is 160 ft/lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Might try that first. These trucks are good for shaking them loose.

Ron

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had the same problem. The pinion flange nut likes to come loose and then you loose bearing preload and everything inside just loosens up. It didn't cause any bearing or gear problems though on mine. I did have to buy a new flange because the hammering between forward and reverse plus the loose nut wore out the splines on the flange but not the pinion shaft. You will need a new colapsable spacer and a new seal and nut in any case. $95cdn for a new flange, $10cdn for colapsable spacer, $12cdn for a seal, $6cdn for new nut. Tighten the pinion nut (minimum torque of 160 ft-lbs). When I installed my new spacer I had to go way beyond 160 ft-lbs. I tightened the nut until I removed all looseness and gave the bearing a slight preload. To do it proper you should remove the carrier assembly and measure the actual pre-load on the pinion shaft bearings. If you want the proper step by step instructions I can type them out for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill tighten it to 160 this weekend, If its too far gone i ll do it right , but for now I hope I can tighten it and get by. maybe the splines arent smoked. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. The pinion flange nut likes to come loose and then you loose bearing preload and everything inside just loosens up. It didn't cause any bearing or gear problems though on mine. I did have to buy a new flange because the hammering between forward and reverse plus the loose nut wore out the splines on the flange but not the pinion shaft. You will need a new colapsable spacer and a new seal and nut in any case. $95cdn for a new flange, $10cdn for colapsable spacer, $12cdn for a seal, $6cdn for new nut. Tighten the pinion nut (minimum torque of 160 ft-lbs). When I installed my new spacer I had to go way beyond 160 ft-lbs. I tightened the nut until I removed all looseness and gave the bearing a slight preload. To do it proper you should remove the carrier assembly and measure the actual pre-load on the pinion shaft bearings. If you want the proper step by step instructions I can type them out for you.
HI! Please give step by step! Detailing "preload" and anything else for someone who has never done it before. Is the 160 ft-lbs achievable by hand? Thank you.

·
Registered
2000 F350 CC DRW HD Edition, 4r100, ESOF, AIS, 4”, Gear Vendor, hpx, frx Mishimoto trans cooler
54 Posts
Just to give you an idea, 160 is generally the upper end of lug nut torque specs on some of these trucks… and we pretty much can achieve that without much trouble. Being underneath may present challenges, but very doable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts