The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to smooth out my street ride as much as possible (smooth is a relative term with my truck, I realize) and am thinking Bilsteins or Fox, but have no clue which models. Are the nitrogen charged shocks that much better? With Fox, they're referring to dual speed compression, etc, etc. I don't want to dump a bunch of cash for something that Sorry for dumb questions, but I literally am clueless about shocks. I took my measurements since the truck is lifted, etc, but would greatly appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Not a shock guru by any means, but I do love my Bilstein 5100 series shocks. They were a noticeable difference on my truck. I have heard good things about the Fox shocks too, but they were not widely known when I did my shock replacement. They are quite a bit more $ than the Bilsteins too.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I'm running the bilstein 5100 front and 5125 rear for my truck with 37 tire and love them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Why would you run 5100 up front and the 5125 in the rear? Is it a smoother ride that way as opposed to just buying 4 of either?

I also saw BILSTEIN B8 5165 on a suspension website. It has a separate canister beside the shock. Is that better for a smoother street ride?

Reactions: NickKent

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Because of the length. 5100 wouldn't fit so they give me 5125 (universal) with the same valving as the 5100

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh. I'm going to go the same route you did. Where did you get them?

·
Registered
734 Posts
On my 02 CC LB ( it is not yet loaded in my sig )
I just did an Icon front spring kit 6" and OUO rear traction block kit in the rear ( kept the stock stock springs )
I did Rancho 9000XL shocks and am very pleased. The truck rides awesome ! Better than stock .

I have had the same Rancho 9000 XL on my F550 in my sig for 5 years now. I really am fond of the adjustable settings. My next move would be the Fox adjustable also. I tow a lot and own a construction business, so the adjustable settings is nice .

I will ad that I did purchase Fox Performance steering stabilizers for both those trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Ahhh. I'm going to go the same route you did. Where did you get them?

I called bilstein and ask them their thought, they had me taken a couple measurements and give me the part number of what to order.

I think i ordered them through summits racing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be doing just that. Thanks a lot for your time and help!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running the bilstein 5100 front and 5125 rear for my truck with 37 tire and love them.
So I called Bilestein and they said they don't have any shocks that are the length I need compressed or extended. They would fall short by 1/2" in extension, and 1" in compression. He did say that they have reservoir shocks that are for primarily off road applications that are at the lengths I need for mine. He said they may ride better as they cushion more on the bumps. I realize they cost nearly double, but is he correct in what he told me, or what I understood him to tell me?? It seems that could be a good option for maximum ride comfort??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the 5125s all around and what a difference! Thanks for all the help guys!

Reactions: ArcticDriver
1 - 11 of 11 Posts