The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost all of my available time when I took the truck down to pull the injectors (one had died completely) so the poor old thing has sat for three weeks waiting for my new Stage IIs and I to be in the same place at the same time. UPS losing them for a week didn't help matters either.

My truck works for a living, so I am not building a hot rod, I just want to make it a) RUN RIGHT, b) fatten up the power curve in the low end c) get better mileage (see a). So, I will use the stock turbo (if I can) and the stock PCM with no chip and just let the bigger volume of the injectors do their thing.

I don't have enough miles on them to be really definitive, but that will come some day soon. For the first few hops, I have only had the race car behind me. Just like Chris and David promised, I don't have any smoke, except for a little puff while the turbo spools up. At the other end, once I hit 18 psi I still have enough air to burn all of the fuel. Most of all, when I lay the wood to it at 2 grand, I have enough fuel to push the turbo right up to the wastegate. This is where I do my level ground and tiny hill towing, and the stock injectors just didn't do anything until 2,500 (2,300 with Banks elbow, 4", etc.). I also have an extremely smoothe idle and doesn't appear to have any cackle left at all. EXACTLY what I was after.

I am still using the stock airbox and filter until I get a ferrule for the pressure gauge. Then I will test an old filter and a new one, then install the AIS, test that and then vent the case to the fender for the final solution (maybe, depends on test results). I will also delay installation of the Air Dog as well until I have a good database from the injectors and air cleaner.

I have been pulling the car trailer with a CTD-600 6 speed the last few weekends, and it sure was sweet. I can't say for sure, but the PSD seems to have every bit as much jam now as a new 5.9.

Special thanks to Chris Muncy at Diesel Innovations, who pulled the IDM from his own truck and sent it to me when the paint wasn't dry on mine at shipping time, and who, in general did everything he could to get me back on the road as quickly and cheaply (if anything around a PSD can be referred to as "cheap") as possible. Also, I want to recognize all those who post mechanical advice here on the forum. The injector R&R came with no surprises, thanks to the excellent advice that has slowly seeped into my head over the years. My only trip to the CD was to check injector hold-down bolt torque.

Pat

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Great news! Pat sometime when you have the time could you gauge your hpop and see how the pressure is holding under wot. I know some people say they lose substantial pressure and I have heard others say they dont. Just curious on what you see.

Has the grin left your face yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't hooked up my big trailer yet, so the grin is still in storage until the main event. I did find I had to soft pedal it with the car trailer on behind, I was getting worried about the tie downs letting go!

Yeah, I am curious about how the HPOP will hold up as well. It probably won't be for a while, since I am after the increased flow at lower RPM I expect it will do what I am after even if it does drop off.

Pat

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Depending on what they flow, but I'm betting your dropping HPOP pressure at WOT. I am loosing 500psi at WOT, with no chip. Well, at least for a few more days, anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You going to a larger pump?

If I find a significant loss, I may have to do something (expect the drop in injection pressure would hurt mileage).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Special thanks to Chris Muncy at Diesel Innovations, who pulled the IDM from his own truck and sent it to me when the paint wasn't dry on mine at shipping time, and who, in general did everything he could to get me back on the road as quickly and cheaply (if anything around a PSD can be referred to as "cheap") as possible.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not the first time someone at DI has raped there own truck so a customer could get back on the road. The guys over there are top notch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You going to a larger pump? <font color="blue">YES, Double Volume as our factory pumps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font>

If I find a significant loss, I may have to do something (expect the drop in injection pressure would hurt mileage).

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue">I agree. It also causes a decrease in HP at WOT, as pressure drops, so does performance. </font>

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have enough miles on them to be really definitive, but that will come some day soon. For the first few hops, I have only had the race car behind me. Just like Chris and David promised, I don't have any smoke, except for a little puff while the turbo spools up. At the other end, once I hit 18 psi I still have enough air to burn all of the fuel. Most of all, when I lay the wood to it at 2 grand, I have enough fuel to push the turbo right up to the wastegate. This is where I do my level ground and tiny hill towing, and the stock injectors just didn't do anything until 2,500 (2,300 with Banks elbow, 4", etc.). I also have an extremely smoothe idle and doesn't appear to have any cackle left at all. EXACTLY what I was after.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be mistaken. I was just reading in another thread that all the available aftermarket injectors are junk. Go back and check again, there must be something wrong with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You must be mistaken. I was just reading in another thread that all the available aftermarket injectors are junk. Go back and check again, there must be something wrong with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ QUOTE ]

You must be mistaken. I was just reading in another thread that all the available aftermarket injectors are junk. Go back and check again, there must be something wrong with it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that thread. I am sure if I just put in the same stuff that didn't work from day one I would be just as pleased today. Thanks for the heads up./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif

Oh wait a minute. There IS something wrong with it. It no longer has that great big flat spot right in the middle of my towing RPM band. Since it was there from the factory, I assume that is what FoMoCo/IHC/Cat considered right.

Pat

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Pat-
I'll give you a hint about the thread; it is currenty 25 pages and counting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[ QUOTE ]
Pat-
I'll give you a hint about the thread; it is currenty 25 pages and counting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I can count that high, (unless I take my socks off).

(PAUSE)

Nope, that only got me to 21.

Pat

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you counted 21 you must have pulled more than your socks off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you counted 21 you must have pulled more than your socks off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Pat, maybe a dumb question here, but why a new IDM ??

garyT

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
If you counted 21 you must have pulled more than your socks off

[/ QUOTE ] hmmm Maybe all he had on was his socks???? Didnt have to take anything else off,,,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif Dont think I wanted that picture this early in the morning,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[ QUOTE ]
Pat, maybe a dumb question here, but why a new IDM ??

garyT

[/ QUOTE ]

The theory (and I understand experience) is that running a bit more output (voltage?) will sharpen up the opening of the fuel solenoids (which should result in some effective timing advance). Short of putting an old one and modded one on an oscilloscope (which I assume someone has done), you pretty much "pay your price and takes your chance".

To the "others": 1,2,3,........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts