The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak. It appears to be leaking from the joint between the block and the piece behind the damper pulley housing on the left side of the motor. Drips about a drop a second. Have looked carefully at other possibilities and all seem OK. I am on a road trip 500 miles from home, so need to limp home. Have been adding distilled water 2 gals at a time.
Should I use stop leak of some sort?? I do not know what part is between the block and the damper pulley. Is it removable? What is likely leak cause?? Expensive repair??? Leak could be at pan to block joint also?? Oil cooler?? No coolant in oil, BTW. Also have 187000 on engine.

Thanks for your help. I tried to attach pic, no luck.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Look at the bottom side of the water pump. There is a weep hole there, leaks when the seal lets go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info.
Can the weep hole be viewed from bottom without a mirror, etc.??
And this leaks when engine is off, drips from front of pan. Would a
water pump weep hole leak run down edge of pan
??
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Probably can't see without a mirror. You might be able to feel it better. Yes it can leak down the edge of the pan. Any time you see a leak running along a ridge, look above it for the likely place for it to be leaking. The water pump seal is more likely to be leaking when static, than while running, until the leak gets bad enough, then it'll spray all over everything.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
Adding Bars Leak won't hurt anything, and might solve your problem.

Just don't exceed the recommended dosage.
I avoid additives like that . They tend to block other things too , like the heater core & the radiator . JMO

·
Registered
783 Posts
I avoid additives like that . They tend to block other things too , like the heater core & the radiator . JMO
I couldn't agree more. I should have said probably won't hurt anything. If the OP is able to limp home by adding water, that's what I would do. Plugging the leak with Bars Leak may make it more difficult to find later.

I'm generally not a fan of distilled water either. Water is weird stuff - always trying to deposit minerals on something or (conversely) take minerals away - always looking for a balance.

In some industries, distilled water is referred to as "hungry" water.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
^^^I agree, softened water is better than distilled for just that reason. They add chemicals to boilers to prevent the distilled water from eating the pipes returning the condensate to be turned back to steam. Water naturally tries to absorb minerals.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts

Me too. And can plug passages between block and head. How do I know this? Tore down a few in my years.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all for the excellent advice. I have been using distilled water due to advice I got from changing coolant posts.. I think .. And the RO water is lot cheaper.

And the leak stopper stuff, I agree also. It just makes sense.
But I have used it to stop leaks effectively on autos.

It was too dark to check the WP last nite, but I will do so this am.
And BTW, I drove about 50 miles yesterday, and when I shut it off, it
did not drip and had used only a little water ,, This AM, TWO gallons low, which
dripped out over nite. !!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I am towing a 7k trailer, in Colorado. I have left the cap loose on the theory that
any pressure would tend to force water out. The truck runs pretty cool anyway.
I am more concerned about exhaust EGTs than overheating.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sometimes you gotta pick your poison.

Distilled water is hungry and will eat the minerals from your engine. Regular water is loaded with minerals and will vomit them into the engine and clog it up. What to do? What to do?

It's kind of like the conflicting advice about food, medicine and religion.

Life is dangerous.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to all for info, advice. Problem was leakey water pump seal. Was lucky to find qualified Ford Diesel mechanic in
Estes Park CO. Cost wa$590 including antifreeze, new Tstat, and NAPA pump. Had to wait 3 days for appointment, but hey
I was in Estes Park,so no prob!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts