The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 f250 6.0. I brought it to a mechanic to get my oil cooler replaced. The coolant temp usually stays about 188 and the oil just keeps getting hotter the longer it is driven. I have been loosing coolant from the degas cap. The EGR is already deleted. He opened the hood, looked at the degas bottle and told me my head bolts are stretched and I need head gaskets and studs. Is there any other way to make sure the bolts are stretched other than looking at the degas bottle?

·
Registered
195 Posts
hook up a pressure gauge into your cooling system and see if the pressure spikes when you give it throttle. if it does that's unfortunately most likely from a leaky head gasket. I have also read that sometimes the cap could be bad and cause puking. i would start cheap and easy and go from there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
More than likely you have a failing head gasket but a clogged oil cooler will cause the coolant cap to blow off pressure. When the oil temp inside the cooler exceeds the boiling temp of the coolant it flash boils the coolant in the cooler, witch increases pressure. The best way is a coolant pressure gauge that you can see while driving.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
And replace the cap on the degas bottle. They get weak over time.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
If you use a cooling system pressure tester, it uses an adaptor that replaces the degas cap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I came of the 3/8 line at the degas bottle. Put in a T, and ran a hose into the cab with a cheap guage. Worked great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. I got a new cap about a week ago and I haven't had any coolant push through yet. I have a guage coming in the mail tomorrow and I will see what that tells me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a 04 6.0 and it puked because the Degas bottle had a hair line crack in it. It held coolant but when pressure tested it leaked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I have my guage hooked up and the pressure goes up to 16psi and stayes there but it doesn't "spike" and no coolent is coming out the cap. This means bad head gaskets?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sounds more like you need an oil cooler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I brought it in to have it done but the mechanic saw I was loosing coolent out of the cap. So I got a new cap and it stopped but it builds pressure quick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you have access to a scan tool use it and see if the oil-coolant temps are way out of whack.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are, the coolant stays between 184 190 and the oil gets to 230. I have the cooler the erg is deleted. I just wanted to make sure I don't need head gaskets before I get the cooler done.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are, the coolant stays between 184 190 and the oil gets to 230. I have the cooler the erg is deleted. I just wanted to make sure I don't need head gaskets before I get the cooler done.
Woah Definitely sounds like a cooler to me! I'd also toss a coolant Filter on there so you wont have to do a cooler again. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts