The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, you know the bearings that sit inside the wheel and slip down over the spindle? It looks like I was putting that on backwards the whole time, and that's why it wasn't seating properly. Apparently I'm just a dummy. There's a fatter end of the bearing and a skinnier end, and it didn't fit on all the way until I put the skinny end on the spindle first. I got it all back together, but there's a notch around the very end of the axle that seems like it should have a snap ring on it. I can't seem to find the snap ring though, so I'm going to have to dig around until I find it.

The only other question is regarding the spindle socket. I'm using the OTC one with the four teeth sticking straight down from the end of the socket, and it keeps slipping out so badly that I'm having a really difficult time getting the required 160 lbs-ft of torque. Is it possible to use the other kind of spindle socket, with the four internal teeth?

This is the one I'm using:

This is something like what I'm trying to find:

Does anyone have a part number for something like this? Or do I have to keep plugging away with the other kind, no matter how much it keeps slipping off?

EDIT: Can anyone tell me how to resize images? I used the "insert image" button and entered in the urls, but I feel like these images are too big.

·
Registered
473 Posts
the socket you are using is the same as the one I used, maybe the nut is buggered, can you turn the nut around and use the other side? again, maybe yours is different than a d60, but there was no snap ring on mine until you put the guts of the locking hubs in, then it was about a three inch diameter snap ring, no snap ring touching the spindle, it snaps into the wheel hub groove.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have the type in the lower picture. Just looked for a part number stamped on it and there isn't one. I know it was from NAPA though.

I would Google "Dana 60 spindle socket" to find one or see what NAPA has. Dana 50 and Dana 60 use the same spindle nut, therefore the same socket.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts