The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 11 pm the back end dropped. I'm pulling an unloaded 16 foot gooseneck trailer which is light by any comparrison. Somehow, I sheared all of the rear lug studs off. Parts store opens at 730 and I have a ride. The broken studs are out. Is there anyway I can remove the e brake shoes and pull the new studs through without pulling the axle and hub? I'm on the side of the road and only have basic hand tools, no puller, no axle hub socket.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
Did you get the rotor off? I think you'll find if you rotate the axle such that each stud you're working on is at the 6:00 position, you'll be able to get the new stud started without having to pull the brake. It is possible to get the e-brake off, but I sure wouldn't want to do that sitting on the side of the road.

I'm assuming you have a Dana 80 based on your Avatar. It would really help to have that signature filled out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rotor was the easy part. When the wheel left, the rotor slammed into the pavement and shifted, then locked up grinding about 2 inches off before I could move over to the shoulder. As soon as I pulled the caliper, the rotor was off. I had to go to 5 parts stores in order to come up with 8 studs, a rotor, a seal, and 8 lug nuts. I went ahead and bought a seal and a axle nut socket just to be safe, although no one could tell me if the axle nut socket was the right one.

The 6:00 position did not work. The backing plate was just too close and studs too long. I tried it in a few positions and finesse was not on my mind. Mine were the course threads if that makes a difference.

I pulled the ebrake assembly without too much difficulty, still no go on the clearance. Rather than try and pull the axle and hub on the side of the road with semis whizzing by at 70mph a few feet from me, I broke out my handy dandy $2.99 harbor freight air powered cut off tool and cut a notch in the front side of the backing plate so I could slip the studs in from the back.

Absolutely a trail fix, but it worked. My shop is 400 miles away and I will do it right when I get back. I was lucky and I have a gas powered air compressor on the truck. I bought the cut off tool thinking I will never use it.....it has absolutely saved me more times than I can count.

Thanks for your response. I used to have a description of the truck in my signature...not sure what happened to it. 99 F250. I think it has the Sterling axle.

Jay

·
Premium Member
15,105 Posts
Sorry for that - the Sterling is a different animal. I've got relatives in San Angelo, but they're pushing 100 years of age so they probably wouldn't have been much help. At least this didn't happen in August...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts