The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been awhile since I posted on here, I got a new truck and am having some problems with it.

Bought a 1997 f350 4x4 auto 7.3 sunday, and on the way home it died and restarted easily twice after stopping at red lights.

Monday I changed the fuel filter and did the DIY Tymar. Immediately after fuel filter change I started the truck and it idled fine for 3 minutes, I rev the engine a few times, sounds good, then all of a sudden it starts to stumble like its fuel starved, and then dies, will not restart.

Tues Morning I crank a few times and it fires right up, runs great for 10 min driving around the block, then stumbles and dies. Cleaned the FPR screen which unbelieveably dirty, with no results. Local mechanic suggests fuel pump, I check the pressure at the FPR valve, no pressure when cranking, but fuel bowl is full. I took the FPR spring and valve out clean and reinsert, truck fires and runs great immediately. I have 20 psi when cranking and almost 70 when idleing.

5 minutes later while Idleing I revved the engine up to 2000 rpm and let off the throttle truck immediately dies and restarts with no problems, I do this several times. If I rev it up to 2000rpm, let off the throttle, it will die, sometimes I can catch it before it dies and bring it back to a normal idle.

hpop is full
unplugged icp no change
truck has 220000 miles on it.

Thoughts? and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Low oil level or aerated oil (usually from old or wrong type of oil) can cause this problem. Also a dirty IPR valve.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Could also be IPR wiring shorting out and /or loose nut on the IPR

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.
Ok changed the oil which was completely disgusting, now it only does it when warm. The warmer the truck gets the more it does it. Also now it is surging while driving, plenty of power, but the rpms surge up erratically while driving, and it surges up and down at idle.

I checked the ipr nut and wiring we're good there. Ipr exterior is completely dirty and covered in filth. I'm thinking ipr at this point thoughts? I wonder if its worth replacing the ipr just for kicks?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Absolutely...unless you want to attempt to replace the o-rings yourself.....My hands are WAY too big for that so I just bought a new one..... View attachment IPRCleaning[1].pdf

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok talked to the previous owner tonight, he said that its been doing the stalling after letting off the throttle thing for awhile now. He said it happened to him very randomly while driving.

Going to order an IPR tomorrow. Hopefully thats it. So has anyone else experienced these symptoms with a sticking IPR? Is it possible for the IPR to stick but not completely go bad?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the IPR thanks for the help. The IPR was so gummed up I had to pry the solenoid off the post with a screwdriver. It still stumbles, very rarely, but it doesnt die off, Throttle response is slightly better. I may change the oil again, I was told by the local powerstroke guru that he has seen oil so bad he had to change it twice to clear up any issues, and mine was unbelievably bad.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Add some Seafoam to the oil and wait 1K or so before changing the oil again....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drove the truck around town all morning, never stalled while driving. It idled a little on the rough side, but not to bad. Got in the driveway and revved up the motor to 2000 rpm and let off just to see if it would die, and it did. Crap!!! It was completely working after I replaced the IPR.

Hopefully another oil change will fix it. Sea foam in the oil? sounds dangerous.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Not at all , it loosens up all the crap in the oil passages, since the injection is HUEI it can help the system Sea Foam Sales Company

1 - 10 of 10 Posts