The Diesel Stop banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Make sure when installing the Injectors to use an air gun to blow out all the oil from the injector hold down bolt holes. If not, you will not be able to get a proper torque on them due to the oil in the bottom of the holes. Trust me, I know this from first hand experience, unfortunately.
Thanks Dillon,

Unfortunately, I forgot to do this on the passenger side that I just finished last night. I remembered on the last injector (1 of 3) that I installed, but checked the hole for oil and it was dry! Crossing my fingers....

Will be sure to blow out holes on the Driver Side that I'm working on today.

Thanks for your Help!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have seen the injector harness go bad. A broken wire near the injector plug. Wiggling the harness revealed the problem.
I'll just have to check after I finish installing the 5 new injectors. I'm fairly sure the injector was bad and the cable looks great waaaay back on #7....

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Uh Oh, just pulled out the Stand Pipe on the Drivers Side today. Found the nylon ring under the O-Ring squished so hard that it fractured and one end rode over the top of the other end (looks like one continental plate riding over the top of another). I assume you can't repair that, and besides I've run out of time to get this thing finished!! I called the "Stealership" and they want $88 for a new one!!!! Our favorite Ford parts supplier sells them all day long for $47 but I can't wait 3 days for it to show up!

Does anyone know if I can put a new nylon washer on the new-style standpipe?

Also, Can I buy the latest version Standpipe from NAPA under some International part number? If so, what's the part number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Make sure when installing the Injectors to use an air gun to blow out all the oil from the injector hold down bolt holes. If not, you will not be able to get a proper torque on them due to the oil in the bottom of the holes. Trust me, I know this from first hand experience, unfortunately.
Thanks Dillon,

Unfortunately, I forgot to do this on the passenger side that I just finished last night. I remembered on the last injector (1 of 3) that I installed, but checked the hole for oil and it was dry! Crossing my fingers....

Will be sure to blow out holes on the Driver Side that I'm working on today.

Thanks for your Help!!!
Happy to help bro. One last thing, and another mistake I made that I've learned from, make sure to be careful with the compressed air when blowing out the holes. When I did it the first time, I was a little careless with the air gun and blew a bunch of crap that had collected nearby, into the area where the injectors are located. It may make sense to use an old lint free towel to cover up the head and then make an opening large enough to blow the air into the specific holes. Kind of like how a surgeon puts a sheet over a patient and then has a small opening where he/she conducts the operation.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Uh Oh, just pulled out the Stand Pipe on the Drivers Side today. Found the nylon ring under the O-Ring squished so hard that it fractured and one end rode over the top of the other end (looks like one continental plate riding over the top of another). I assume you can't repair that, and besides I've run out of time to get this thing finished!! I called the "Stealership" and they want $88 for a new one!!!! Our favorite Ford parts supplier sells them all day long for $47 but I can't wait 3 days for it to show up!

Does anyone know if I can put a new nylon washer on the new-style standpipe?

Also, Can I buy the latest version Standpipe from NAPA under some International part number? If so, what's the part number?

Thanks!
I thought that those rings were actually designed with a split in them, kind of like a lock washer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, if they have a split in them, then the O-Ring has a big hump in it to allow for the nylon washer to double in thickness.... Doesn't seem like a very good design if it's causing the O-Ring to go all wonky.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What do you need? A standpipe o-ring or the nylon split washer thing that is on the new standpipes to protect the o-rings.

I may have new spares of both lying around my garage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
What do you need? A standpipe o-ring or the nylon split washer thing that is on the new standpipes to protect the o-rings.

I may have new spares of both lying around my garage.
I looked at the dummy plug when I pulled it out and the nylon washer IS split. Looks like when the nylon washer got squashed in upon my last installation, it did overlapped itself. Anyway, when I slid the O-Ring back up against the upper wall in it's groove it wasn't deformed any longer. I guess that nylon washer is keeping stuff from getting up to the o-ring and it fits the hole very tightly.

I'll just lube it up and put it back in!

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Injectors Fixed It

Finished putting in the 5 new injectors yesterday.

Was having a scary moment trying to get it started and had to charge the batts a couple of times before I was able to get the engine started. When it started, it was running sooooo smooth that I was completely blown away!

Went for a long drive around town and down the interstate (80 Miles) and shut it off. Re-started hot in about 1 second crank!

I worried about HP Oil Leak until I read the thread last night about the amount of wide open throttles you have to do to purge the air out of the system (12 x 25mph to 50mph @ WOT). This morning I went out and started the engine cold and it started after ~ 1 second cranking.

Just a reminder: When you pull the oil rail it takes A LOT of cranking to get it filled back up and A Lot of driving (or the 12 WOT cycles) to purge the air out of the system!!

Thanks to everyone that helped me throughout this thread!
Ready for another 225K!!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Glad it is running well.

Please confirm that your intermittent sync is no longer occurring.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Spoke Too Soon

Well, it's not as bad, but it is still stuttering!! I didn't do any tests beside driving the truck after putting it back together. Had to drive to Texas and didn't have time left to do anymore. After driving on the interstate for a while the stuttering became more noticeable. When I get back, I'll hook it up and check the CMP/CKP sync. I'm suspecting that they are still not consistently in sync at a stable RPM.

Stay tuned for more......

41 - 53 of 53 Posts